Why become a member? ×

High-end basses in Denmark Street

Happy Jack

I was talking to my luthier at lunchtime when in walks Simone (remember her? the one good thing about The Bass Cellar.).

She's helping out at Vintage & Rare these days, which reminded me that it's been ages since I was last in there. Strolled in to take a look at their selection of basses ... they had six (count them - 6). Two Jazzes, three Precisions, and a Thunderbird. And that was it.

So I thought I'd wander around and see what else there was on offer.

If you're after a standard MIM Fender or a copy of one, if you're after a Yamaha or Peavey or Aria, then you'll be well catered for throughout the street. If you want a Rickenbacker or Warwick then The Bass Cellar has a few. If you want ludicrously over-priced 60's tat then what used to be Andy's has got plenty.

If you want something a bit nice - Lakland, Sadowsky, Celinder, Nordstrand, Sandberg, etc. - you'd best head for The Bass Gallery because there's NOTHING like that to be found in Denmark Street.

[quote name='timloudon' post='424781' date='Mar 4 2009, 09:17 AM']No gear and no idea! :)

Plus you don't get treated like an idiot in the Gallery.[/quote]

I used to think the guy and girl working at the bass shop in Denmark St. were really unfriendly and unhelpful, and yeah treating me like an idiot, though recently I went there and there was some guy I'd never seen so don't have an opinion anymore... Still prices are for the most absurd...
Unlike for example Music Ground, who are excellent and where I've actually ended up buying pedals a few times instead of just trying them out and going to buy them online somewhere...

Edited by 1976fenderhead