Why become a member? ×

Cleaning maple fretboards

phsycoandy

Thanks Phil, for your kind comments and for playing Music Man! Your bass was built on 06/25/98.

As far as cleaning, at the factory we have switched to using our new Wonder Wipes Fretboard Conditioner. It cleans your neck without mucking up the strings, in fact it cleans them also!

Also for routine maintenance, 100% pure lemon oil is fine (despite what the bottle may say in this case) to help clean and well preserved. If the dirt is really deep, you may want to try using Murphy's Oil Soap, diluted 3:1.

After you are finished, you may want to apply Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil (Make sure to remove the oil 5-7 minutes after applying) and a light coat of Birchwood-Casey Gunstock Wax or a high-grade furniture wax for that factory feel. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's directions! Use paper towels to apply these finishes.

If your neck neck is pretty grimy, then I would recommend lightly sanding the neck to take off the grime so that you aren't "sealing the grime in". We would use in most cases 1200 grit paper, but you could use as high as 600 grit. Then we would use paper towels to apply the gunstock oil and wax treatment. Make sure to remove the oil 5-7 minutes after applying. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions! Thanks for playing Music Man.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Best Regards,

Dan McPherson

/\
||
||
What MM said to me, when I asked them the same question

hope it helps! :)

[quote name='rockinbassman' post='429432' date='Mar 9 2009, 03:01 PM']Silly question probably, but where do I get some lemon oil. My Rays fretboard is pretty manky!![/quote]

Most places that stock Ernie Ball strings also stock their fretboard cleaner/conditioner. My maple board 'ray was very grubby when I got it. A good rub with wire wool, then the fretboard cleaner has done wonders.

[quote name='rockinbassman' post='429432' date='Mar 9 2009, 03:01 PM']Silly question probably, but where do I get some lemon oil. My Rays fretboard is pretty manky!![/quote]

You can get it from most music shops... I'm sure you could get it from ebay...

check out ebay items

If you've a maple fretboard that is laquered/varnished in any way, ordinary guitar polish is all you'll ever need.

There's a downside to so-called 'mojo' - it will cost you money. The stuff will ruin your strings, which is fine if you want a set of deader-than-dead flats a la Jamerson, but certain death to rounds. Doesn't do your frets any good either. Keep 'em clean, people!

If I'm doing a full setup, such cleaning is part of the operation, so if you must keep the gunk on your fretboard, tell the tech! I doubt he'll appreciate it, though...

[quote name='Telebass' post='429461' date='Mar 9 2009, 03:27 PM']If you've a maple fretboard that is laquered/varnished in any way, ordinary guitar polish is all you'll ever need.

There's a downside to so-called 'mojo' - it will cost you money. The stuff will ruin your strings, which is fine if you want a set of deader-than-dead flats a la Jamerson, but certain death to rounds. Doesn't do your frets any good either. Keep 'em clean, people!

If I'm doing a full setup, such cleaning is part of the operation, so if you must keep the gunk on your fretboard, tell the tech! I doubt he'll appreciate it, though...[/quote]

Sorry to side track, I've just seen your quote under your pic - "YOUR tone is in your FINGERS, not your bass..."

...does that include basses equipped with MIDI pickups...?