Why become a member? ×

Anyone played O'Neills in Colchester

pete.young

We've an upcoming gig in Colchester at O'Neills and have been told that they would like us to use their PA. The only desscription of this PA is that it's two cables coming out of a box on the wall that we plug our amp into, and the sound comes out of the pubs speakers. Ho hum.

Our normal setup is a non-powered mixer, two powered cabs and a powered monitor set. This normally only handles vocals and a bit of keyboard. We could DI bass and guitar but we're not geared up for miking drums and we don't have an electronic kit.

If there's anyone who's played there and knows whether they need a line-level signal or a powered signal, please speak up! Any advice gratefully recieved.

I'd perhaps just DI the bass for some girth and put a 58 in the kickdrum and maybe even in front of the guitar amp, just to spread the sound out a bit, as well as your vox and keys obviously.

Whenever we've played at places with their own PA, we'll often just set ours up completely and use the venues for reinforcement (usually because it's a big place, MK venue has an in-house Bose setup...yum). But then we're all geared up with drum mics and subs etc

Good luck mate

Si

Edited by Sibob

Thanks for that Si. Guess we'll have to see how it goes. Latest from the non-techie members of the band is 'they give you a cable with a 3-pin mike plug' which sounds to me like a (balanced?) XLR, suggesting they're looking for a line-level input. Kickdrum is a good idea, we can sort that out no problem. Guitarist has an 'echo send' on her multieffects unit which we can plug into the desk.

[quote name='pete.young' post='421576' date='Feb 28 2009, 11:05 AM']The only desscription of this PA is that it's two cables coming out of a box on the wall that we plug our amp into, and the sound comes out of the pubs speakers. Ho hum.[/quote]

Have they actually got a PA or are there just two speakers and you plug the speaker leads into your own amp? It might be worth checking as the words "plug your amp into" are a little worrying.

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='422350' date='Mar 1 2009, 01:36 PM']Have they actually got a PA or are there just two speakers and you plug the speaker leads into your own amp? It might be worth checking as the words "plug your amp into" are a little worrying.

Cheers
Alun[/quote]

It is, I agree. Trouble is that nobody in the venue that we've managed to talk to so far seems to know, and the other people in the band might not understand the answer! The fact that they're using XLRs makes me think it's a line level input - nobody would be dumb enough to use those downstream of a power amp, would they?

If we're not happy that it won't damage anything, we wont be using it.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='422436' date='Mar 1 2009, 04:17 PM']Before Speakon connectors became the norm amps and speakers that were more "upmarket" used XLRs rather than jacks to make the connections. I have a Carlsbro 1x15 cab from the late 80s/early 90s with only XLRs on the back.[/quote]

Thanks for that. Dumb probably wasn't the word I should have used.