Why become a member? ×

Advice urgently needed

molan

Well - the postscript is that we didn't actually trip it once but certainly triggered the entire christmas tree of lights several times.

It had indeed been carefully set up to rob all the fundamentals from any low frequency source. Bass, obviously, but also lower end of vocals, kick drum, low tom etc.

I ended up having use just the Genz 1x10 combo stacked as high as I could get it. I also had to pull some bass out of the signal but luckily the Genz has a semi-parametric mid & I found the lowest frequency I could get away with boosting in order to get any lind of volume just to hear what I was playing.

The trip meter quite liked my auto-wah though - I knew it pulled a bit of low end from the signal but it must have been right on the sweet spot of the limiter as I could snap strings really loudly with the wah on!

There was a bass player in the audience who came up to me at the interval and said he could barely here anything I was playing. He knew there was some bass in the mix but not enough to distinguish much.

Thing that really pissed me off about it all is that the bloody venue is absolutely in the middle of nowhere. The only person within any kind of earshot just happens to be the owner so he obviously set it so he doesn't get disturbed much - meanwhile he's hiring the place out as a wedding venue with live bands for thousands of pounds a night!

[quote name='molan' post='422142' date='Mar 1 2009, 01:56 AM']Well - the postscript is that we didn't actually trip it once but certainly triggered the entire christmas tree of lights several times.

It had indeed been carefully set up to rob all the fundamentals from any low frequency source. Bass, obviously, but also lower end of vocals, kick drum, low tom etc.

I ended up having use just the Genz 1x10 combo stacked as high as I could get it. I also had to pull some bass out of the signal but luckily the Genz has a semi-parametric mid & I found the lowest frequency I could get away with boosting in order to get any lind of volume just to hear what I was playing.

The trip meter quite liked my auto-wah though - I knew it pulled a bit of low end from the signal but it must have been right on the sweet spot of the limiter as I could snap strings really loudly with the wah on!

There was a bass player in the audience who came up to me at the interval and said he could barely here anything I was playing. He knew there was some bass in the mix but not enough to distinguish much.

Thing that really pissed me off about it all is that the bloody venue is absolutely in the middle of nowhere. The only person within any kind of earshot just happens to be the owner so he obviously set it so he doesn't get disturbed much - meanwhile he's hiring the place out as a wedding venue with live bands for thousands of pounds a night![/quote]

I've always wondered if some sort of sprayable foam could be squirted into the limiter..window sealant or somesuch that isn't exactly noticeable. Even if it only gives you 3-6dB extra that would be enough to get by.

[quote name='Dan_Nailed' post='422394' date='Mar 1 2009, 02:40 PM']I've always wondered if some sort of sprayable foam could be squirted into the limiter..window sealant or somesuch that isn't exactly noticeable. Even if it only gives you 3-6dB extra that would be enough to get by.[/quote]

It had some sort of sign on saying it could 'detect' if the mic had artificially been blocked - not sure if this was just a trick to make sure no-one tried to tamper with it though!

[quote name='bumfrog' post='420838' date='Feb 27 2009, 01:06 PM']I'm guessing a large wack on the snare will do it practically every time.[/quote][quote name='OldGit' post='420842' date='Feb 27 2009, 01:08 PM']Or singing, clapping, whispering[/quote]
Or the gentle 'ffrrt' of a nearby flatulent mosquito.
Bloody limiters are a nightmare. :)