Why become a member? ×

Signal cut pedal thingys...(what are they called???'

ash_sak

I've just set up my pedals, which in a matter of months now includes 5 whole pedals, well one's a piece of crap.

Free, 70s B-line sci-fi movie prop, crap though. Tis still much appreciated.

But i have now got a lot of background noise, a kinda hissing...but not hissing...
Quite simply the kinda noise you get when lots of pedals all lead into an amp n it just kinda hums away at you.

Anyone know if there's a pedal out there that can cut this noise, cause i dont want it there when i'm not using fx, if they're all plugged in and beign using it aint too much of a problem but when i play without them on it's annoying.

I know there's a kinda pedal out there which can cut noise...ithink anyway.

So yeah anyone, if this makes sense please help.

they're plugged in...
Zoom BFX-708 --> Digitech Flanger --> Guyatone EQ --> Boss RC-20XL (when it arrives) --> Behringer limiter
powered by a soundlab powerbank psu.

Any help?

Thanks.
Enjoy

I use a big pedal chain and swear by the palmer line isolator PLI 01.
Just put it as the last thing into your amp input, I use a two foot long cable and have it velcro,d to the side of the amp so it,s as close to the input as possible.
It cleans up all sorts of interference and earthing hum, everyone in my band swears by them.
You can get them from thomann online.

Something like this? - [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Boss-NS-2-Noise-Suppressor_W0QQitemZ320343855588QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item320343855588&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Boss-NS-2-Noise-Supp...%3A1|240%3A1318[/url]

Thanks, that's exactly the stuff i was looking for.

I've worked out what pedals making most of the noise (the Zoom...)

and i dont use it all as a permanent set up so i can easily swop things around but if i can find a cheap and easy solution then i could be swayed into buying something.

Thanks again.

[quote name='Hamster' post='418587' date='Feb 24 2009, 05:44 PM']Something like this? - [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Boss-NS-2-Noise-Suppressor_W0QQitemZ320343855588QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item320343855588&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Boss-NS-2-Noise-Supp...%3A1|240%3A1318[/url][/quote]

I have one of those too. tho this is more like a noise gate that doesn,t actually remove noise, it simply is like a volume control that has a threshold level that you adjust so that when you are not playing the volume turns down so giving the illusion that your signal is quiet.
I use one of these on the output of my big muff pedal so the that the damn thing appears a little less noisy when the muff signal loop is in, as all my pedals are on loops with true bypass when not in use, but still use the palmer at end before the amp as the boss pedal will not remove any signal noise while you are playing like the palmer does.

[quote name='wizbat' post='418600' date='Feb 24 2009, 05:55 PM']I have one of those too. tho this is more like a noise gate that doesn,t actually remove noise, it simply is like a volume control that has a threshold level that you adjust so that when you are not playing the volume turns down so giving the illusion that your signal is quiet.
I use one of these on the output of my big muff pedal so the that the damn thing appears a little less noisy when the muff signal loop is in, as all my pedals are on loops with true bypass when not in use, but still use the palmer at end before the amp as the boss pedal will not remove any signal noise while you are playing like the palmer does.[/quote]

so the Boss pedal reduces noise whilst not playing?

I haven't read the pedal spec. on the Boss website but can it be used to reduce noise output from pedals yet still allow through the bass signal?

If that makes sense.

Thanks.

[quote name='ash_sak' post='418630' date='Feb 24 2009, 06:31 PM']so the Boss pedal reduces noise whilst not playing?

I haven't read the pedal spec. on the Boss website but can it be used to reduce noise output from pedals yet still allow through the bass signal?[/quote]

No. Noise Gates are either open or closed. You set a threshold level, any sound above that level completely opens the gate, and if the sound falls below that level the gate closes, shutting off any noise while you're not playing.

Are you daisy-chaining that Zoom unit? It could just be that it needs isolated power to operate quietly, I've had a couple of digital pedals that were like that.

I've got one of those Zooms too. They're noisy buggers all right.
I said they're [size=3]NOISY[/size].
[size=3]No,[/size] [size=4]NOISY.[/size] ;)

Ahem. :P
How about using an A/B loop thing to give you a total hardwired bypass of all the pedals when you're not using them? If you use any of them a lot more than others (limiter?), you could put it outside the loop.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='419203' date='Feb 25 2009, 12:59 PM']??
I used one of those Zooms for about 8 years and it was never noticeably noisy. Are you sure you are all using it properly?[/quote]
Nope, I'm too thick to use an FX pedal.

I think noise can be subjective. Also, if you're running fairly heavy compression after any slightly noisy effect, the noise will be worse, and worse still if you have a dirt box after it. The ZNR is quite good, but I also used a NS2 as I used so many other pedals with my old zoom the noise was horrendous. The B2.1U is nowhere near as bad.