Why become a member? ×

Help with finding a great quality Bass Head!

Anton346

Hey Guys,

I recently invested in one of those new 4x10 hartke hydrive cabs and am currently running a hartke ha5500 through it.
It all sounds fine but feel i am not achieving the tone i want with it! Plus i wanted to go down the more rackmount track
and as the ha5500 is fairly bulky and heavy, i was looking for a more lightweight rack mountable option!

I have been looking at an AMPEG SVT 3 PRO but am unsure of whether it will pack the same punch as the HA5500.

So really, i just wanted to see what suggestions you guys had.

Don't really want to spend more than £600 for a new head so anything within that really.

Also not an ashdown fan at all so wouldn't be looking to go down that route!

Thanks!!

[quote name='josh3184' post='418567' date='Feb 24 2009, 05:19 PM']ever tried a Gallien Krueger? I've got their top end amp plus a rack and tuner for sale for £550? 700watts of delicious headroom and pretty much mint![/quote]

Do you have any form of spec or pics that i can see?

Cheers

[quote name='josh3184' post='418567' date='Feb 24 2009, 05:19 PM']ever tried a Gallien Krueger? I've got their top end amp plus a rack and tuner for sale for £550? 700watts of delicious headroom and pretty much mint![/quote]

As a side note, I can vouch for the condition of Josh's gear mate, and even though I only played around 20 notes through it.....OH LORDY, LORDY LORD it sounds so good!!!!!

[quote name='Anton346' post='418582' date='Feb 24 2009, 05:36 PM']Do you have any form of spec or pics that i can see?

Cheers[/quote]

all in this thread : [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=41191&hl="]link[/url]
there's a link just under the picture with the official spec on the manufacturers website too if you want to check that out!
Just so you know I've got a trade being postulated that might go through, just to make you aware

[quote name='Hoppo75' post='418606' date='Feb 24 2009, 06:05 PM']As a side note, I can vouch for the condition of Josh's gear mate, and even though I only played around 20 notes through it.....OH LORDY, LORDY LORD it sounds so good!!!!![/quote]

Haha much obliged Drew, glad you liked it!

Why not try the Hartke LH500 - it's part of that whole new Hartke range alongside the hydrive cab you've bought and is presumably designed to interact as a combination. Additionally, they've got rave reviews on here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26831&hl=lh500"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26831&hl=lh500[/url]

OK, they're not light, but they are rack-mountable, and the sound is described by other bc-ers as warm and full.

What's more, they're cheap as chips - circa £240-300 online and around. Amazed the shop didn't try to sell you one...

Edited by skankdelvar

i love my SVT3-PRO,it certainly doesn't lack for punch in fact it's the punchiest amp i've ever owned.
i previously had a GK1001RB-11 & the SVT just blows it out of the water & gives me the best "old school" bass sound i've ever heard.
the GK was plenty loud enough but just lacked the depth of sound that i like.

Have you tried changing the valve in the preamp? that can make a difference as normally you find cheaper tubes in there. Also, you can rack mount your amp.You just need a set of rack ears.

there are 2 screws on each side of the amp that you just undo and it will slip out of the sleeve.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I've been looking at a few, even delved into the world of pre-amps.
I had been looking at an Ampeg SVP PRO Pre-amp but then found
that thy no longer made them! I've whittled it down to 2 heads though,
an Aguilar AG500 and a SWR 550X. Think i may go towards the latter as
it has a few more nice little extras than the Aguilar and proves to be
cheaper also.
However, i can't help but miss the nice 10-band graphic EQ which will be
replaced with 3 or 4 EQ pots!!

;)