Why become a member? ×

NBD:- Fender Precision

Pow_22

NBD! Ive wanted a 50’s style burst/gold/maple p bass forever. This beaut popped up on reverb and i snapped it up to replcae my outgoing Burns Bison (i need to learn that im just a p bass kinda guy!). Despite all my basses wearing flats the actual plan was for this to get a set of groundwounds. The 78 Tokai is on flats and ud my main axe, this was going to be back up. However when she arrived i whacked flats on until the grounds arrive and she seems to love them!! Now im torn whether to keep the flats on or not!  Planned also to swap out the pups but again they sound great.  Neck is wider but much shallower than the Tokai, certainly not uncomfortable. Here they both are chilling out

1433A5A4-4D48-4E57-AE6A-19D27AC786B6.jpeg

2DC893C5-0DB1-4BB2-AA3F-68F23434C5D1.jpeg

• Like 9

will need some help later.  Definitely decided on flats but when I popped the hood as it were there has clearly been some electrical mods done.  First of a very nice looking after market loom/harness with junction box style connection so changing pups is easier.  Its got a great dockin' big silver capacitor (I assume PIO) but the pups are whats intriguing me.  No markings but vey vintage looking.  Plain black bobbns with dark red windings.  Will snap a pic later and see if anyone is able to shed any light as to what they are.  Whatever they are their hook up wires were obviously too short and they have had 'extensions' soldered between them and the junction box.

1 hour ago, Pow_22 said:

will need some help later.  Definitely decided on flats but when I popped the hood as it were there has clearly been some electrical mods done.  First of a very nice looking after market loom/harness with junction box style connection so changing pups is easier.  Its got a great dockin' big silver capacitor (I assume PIO) but the pups are whats intriguing me.  No markings but vey vintage looking.  Plain black bobbns with dark red windings.  Will snap a pic later and see if anyone is able to shed any light as to what they are.  Whatever they are their hook up wires were obviously too short and they have had 'extensions' soldered between them and the junction box.

That sounds very like a Ki0gon loom.

Edited by Steve Browning

On ‎17‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 09:29, RedVee said:

Lovely.......I would put both bridge and pup covers on that 50's style Precision,oh and more importantly a set of Thomastik Infeld Flatwounds!

I always used to have the covers on my P's, they look amazing but recently ive started playing either directly over or right next to the pups so they would get in the way.  She is definitely keeping flats but I could never get on with the loose feel of TI's.  I really really like the Elites but am tempted to try the lighter roto's too

15 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

That sounds very like a Ki0gon loom.

Quite possibly, ive had a few of Johns looms before, excellent bits of kit.  Im awaiting a new set of pup screws and when they arrive ill get pics of the loom and pups.  These are meant to come as stock with American Std pups but these things are unmarked underneath, look very old (the pole pieces are showing slight rust and gunk) and sound nice and vintage.

17 hours ago, Pow_22 said:

Mystery solved, removed the neck pup to reveal they are SPB1’s. not sure whether they will stay or not yet 🤔

96FC3AEE-1DCA-4E65-B03F-CEE1DAB4C6C1.jpeg

You said before that they sounded nice and vintage, is the reason for potential change because you have changed your mind on how they sound or because you have discovered they are Seymour Duncan?

11 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

You said before that they sounded nice and vintage, is the reason for potential change because you have changed your mind on how they sound or because you have discovered they are Seymour Duncan?

All my other P’s have Pribora pickups in and that was the plan with this also. Whilst i like these pickups ive never been fully decided.

first time ive heard or used an SPB1 and im definitely impressed just not sure i prefer it over the priboras