Why become a member? ×

U-Bass ricky-style

mikebass456

So, here's how it all started.

Having played Kala acoustic U-basses for a few years, I decided that I would try and build a solid-bodied version to the same short scale and with the same 'rubber' strings.

Being also in posession of a full size ricky, this was to be my inspiration and starting point.

Bear in mind that this is all retrospective, as the build was completed last year, but I thought I'd put the pictures and thought/build process up in case it proves inspiring or helpful to anyone else......

As such, I'll trickle the pictures and info in when I have a few minutes here and there, rather than just dump the whole lot on in one go (its not like I'm particularly busy currently.......)

20170417_140902.jpg

• Like 4

To be fully authentic, it would also need to take the skin off the back of my thumb against the inside the chrome surround of the bridge pickup......

I may have incorporated a little artistic licence in my interpretation of the style.......😉

Edited by mikebass456
pickup edit

One of the main parts of the preparation for the build was the making of various jigs for some of the processes.

This one was to cut the scarf joint angle in the neck blank - Pinterest was found to be a very rich source of inspiration and ideas for every step of the build, especially for the jigs and formers/templates etc.........

20170424_143217.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Space it out and we'll appreciate it much more 😎

To Hell with that! Did you succeed? Did it work? What does it weigh? How does it sound? What do those knobs do? Why is it that colour? Is it any good for metal?

;)

• Haha 3

Got the templates cut out ok ready for the router work later on.  Spending ages on getting all the detail and slight lumps out of the edges was well worth it at this stage, so there was no extra 'shaping' required once the body and neck blanks had been cut out.

Pile of wood ready for gluing together - beech and an old hardwood plinth/shelf (still not sure if its mahogany or  not.....)

20170417_162517.jpg

20170522_202858.jpg

• Like 3

Been a while - these are the neck and body blanks being glued up.

Using Tite Bond rather than normal PVA here.  Also, the neck blank is due to be split down the middle, to allow me to make 2 necks side by side (just in case the first one goes a bit awry.........)

Time to get on with the next set of jigs for gluing the scarf joint and putting the radius onto the fingerboard.

20170522_205119.jpg

20170524_122941.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I presume you cut the scarf joint on a table saw. What kind of depth of cut did you need for that - about 4”?

Yep - using the angle cut jig to keep everything nice and steady - as it was a uke bass, the cut depth was about 60mm (2 1/2"?)

I normally use baking parchment for the non-stick aspect, but had run out after a sudden need for fruit cake the previous week.........😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 1