Why become a member? ×

Pino Palladino... with John Mayer

Faithless

Is Pino using some sort of octaver on [i]'Where The Light Is'[/i] DVD?

I'm digging into Mayer's [i]Belief[/i], live version, and I'm a bit confused, because sometimes it sounds like octaver, and it baffles me, cuz, for e.g., it sounds like he drops from high E to octave lower D just from nowhere..

Or is it just me?

Cheers,
Faith.

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='Faithless' post='409659' date='Feb 14 2009, 07:49 PM']But, as I suppose, ya don't feel any octaver there, ye, mate? ;)[/quote]

I do not. I'm guessing you're referring to me.

He's got a very fluffy tone though - I've had to do an EQ job to try and hear the quick playing he's doing because there's no definition.

[quote name='Faithless' post='409688' date='Feb 14 2009, 08:30 PM']Well, maybe, the thing, I'm saying, you already know, but, if not, when transcribing parts, it's a good method to put the track octave or even two octaves [b]up[/b], of course, in the particular key, where you're already transcribing in - then it's real delight to transcribe bass parts! :P

Сheers,
Faith.[/quote]

:) Am i missing something here?! ;)

Yeah, you are, indeed... ;)

I meant, when 'taking' some basspart by ear, especially when bass lacks definition, [i]method[/i], that helps and works for me is to put the track octave or two [i]higher [/i]- it's waaay easier to hear the bass, and such things as vocals or guitars doesn't interrupt that much then, also..

Am I clear now, mate? :P

I think most of Mayer's studio basslines were done by another guy - Dave LaBruyere - who's a great player. Check out the albums where the bass lines are much clearer.

As an aside, I have seen Mayer playing live and was very underwhelmed. The band stood rooted to the spot like bored session players while Mayer was having some sort of eyes-rolling religious experience on the front of the stage!

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='409886' date='Feb 15 2009, 08:35 AM']I think most of Mayer's studio basslines were done by another guy - Dave LaBruyere - who's a great player. Check out the albums where the bass lines are much clearer.[/quote]

It's Pino on Continuum (also with Willie Weeks on I Don't Trust Myself With You). I agree the David LaBruyere is a great player and it is he who is playing the Continuum stuff on Where The Light Is, but it is both PP and DLB who play on Belief and I Don't Trust Myself With You (DLB holding down the WW part), so it's 2 bass players you're hearing rather than an octaver I think.

Amp wise Pino hasn't been seen with his Ashdown gear for ages and seems to playing his Ampeg rig all the time

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='Faithless' post='410241' date='Feb 15 2009, 06:10 PM']I was just [i]watching [/i]live version of Belief via Youtube, and couldn't still find the difference in bassparts..

I must be missing something there..

Until [i]now [/i]I couldn't even imagine, the song was performed by two bassists. At last, the hell for? ;)[/quote]

It's more obvious on the Continuum version, Willie Weeks is laying down the groove down at the business end, whilst Pino pops around up at the dusty end. They're not playing the same thing BTW.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='ezbass' post='410047' date='Feb 15 2009, 01:47 PM']It's Pino on Continuum (also with Willie Weeks on I Don't Trust Myself With You). I agree the David LaBruyere is a great player and it is he who is playing the Continuum stuff on Where The Light Is, but it is both PP and DLB who play on Belief and I Don't Trust Myself With You (DLB holding down the WW part), so it's 2 bass players you're hearing rather than an octaver I think.

Amp wise Pino hasn't been seen with his Ashdown gear for ages and seems to playing his Ampeg rig all the time[/quote]
Excellent stuff. I was going to post exactly that.

I've got the Where The Light Is concert in my car at the moment, it's really rather good at times. He's really improved his singing since Any Given Thursday, much better control.

I can hear Pino's bass parts much more clearly on this than on the Try! CD too.