Why become a member? ×

selmer early seventies treble n bass SV50's

ogri

just dug two out that have sat in the outside shed for nearly ten years, plugged em in, waited for the valves to warm up and...

they both worked! faultlessly..not even noisy. thats handwiring for ya..christ they built things to last back then..i used to use em as a pair with the jolly old rick-o-sound stereo jack in me '77 bass, miked up..what a palaver.
anyway, left em in our local music shop this morning, by this afternoon a few guitarists are creaming theirselves over them and wanting to buy em(they do sound berluddy good), but i have no idea what they are worth. i gave fifty quid each for em but that was about fifteen years ago. theres two on ebay, one is at about a fiver with the back missing, the other has no valves but the bloke still wants £245 for it!! so not much of a guide there..
..anybody got any idea what they are worth? tenner..? fifty..? a ton..? cant really see them being worth all that, but they sound better than an old marshall plexi, more like a '45 or a good vox

[quote name='ogri' post='409063' date='Feb 13 2009, 09:24 PM']just dug two out that have sat in the outside shed for nearly ten years, plugged em in, waited for the valves to warm up and...

they both worked! faultlessly..not even noisy. thats handwiring for ya..christ they built things to last back then..i used to use em as a pair with the jolly old rick-o-sound stereo jack in me '77 bass, miked up..what a palaver.
anyway, left em in our local music shop this morning, by this afternoon a few guitarists are creaming theirselves over them and wanting to buy em(they do sound berluddy good), but i have no idea what they are worth. i gave fifty quid each for em but that was about fifteen years ago. theres two on ebay, one is at about a fiver with the back missing, the other has no valves but the bloke still wants £245 for it!! so not much of a guide there..
..anybody got any idea what they are worth? tenner..? fifty..? a ton..? cant really see them being worth all that, but they sound better than an old marshall plexi, more like a '45 or a good vox[/quote]

Considerably more than you imagine. Have a look at Ebay "Selmer" completed listings. ;)

Edited by obbm

[quote name='obbm' post='409069' date='Feb 13 2009, 09:32 PM']Considerably more than you imagine. Have a look at Ebay "Selmer" completed listings. ;)[/quote]

lol..thanks for that mate.. i reckon about £140 -£150 each for a reasonably quick sale, i'll see how that goes down tomorrow..

[quote name='ogri' post='409078' date='Feb 13 2009, 09:44 PM']lol..thanks for that mate.. i reckon about £140 -£150 each for a reasonably quick sale, i'll see how that goes down tomorrow..[/quote]

I think you will find you are underselling at that price

cheers guys have checked out the reviews, all good stuff, then spent a coupla hours reading the selmer site that someone set up, really interesting i thought, both the beatles an the animals used these but as soon as they made it vox gave them free amps so everybody thinks of vox nobody thinks of selmer lol. that riff everybody has heard on house of the rising sun was recorded on a selmer.
have dated them properly now, made anytime between '70 and '72(the logo changed in '72), and your right mate that is underselling but its a sign of the times. a month back i bought a mark 3 mondeo, 51,000 mile one owner like brand new really for £850 plus commision an fees at peterborough auction, stuff is only worth what people can find at the moment im afraid, at least where i live anyway ;)
one went on ebay for £320, but think that was mint, and mine aint though there complete. if building work wasnt so scarce at the mo would quite happily sit in them for another fifteen years, they will only go up in value.
not letting them go just yet will get them back from the shop later today and clean them up, take a coupla photos and post them just outta general interest.

Edited by ogri

I had my eye on one of these on ebay a month or so back. I think they'd be great for practice and small gig type stuff. That ebay one hadn't been fired up for 15 years so the guy was selling it as is, plus it has its tolex (or whatever is on them) removed so was just a wooden chassis. That went for £160.

Do you know if these are mark 2 or 3's?

[quote name='umcoo' post='409309' date='Feb 14 2009, 11:15 AM']I had my eye on one of these on ebay a month or so back. I think they'd be great for practice and small gig type stuff. That ebay one hadn't been fired up for 15 years so the guy was selling it as is, plus it has its tolex (or whatever is on them) removed so was just a wooden chassis. That went for £160.

Do you know if these are mark 2 or 3's?[/quote]
i have no idea buddy, but have picked them up from the shop, will clean them up this evening, check inside, and take a coupla photos. one isnt original, as the bloke who had it before me was an old valve tech, and he put a pre amp innit so its got an extra volume pot on top of the presence pot.. made a good job of it, youd think it was how it came out of the factory, but i guess you canjudge for yourself when i get photos on.
they would definately make good practice/small venue amps, though as i remember i stopped using them because at bigger venues the volume pot only worked up to a certain point and then turned into a distortion control lol, though they wouldnt distort enough for a metal guitarist.
incredibly warm bottom end for some technical reason i cant remember when used with a six string, in either the bass or guitar inputs.

Edited by ogri

the two amps.serial no 74664 is the modded one you can see the extra pot above the presence. in the other pictures you can see there are few differences between the two, the standard one (serial no 73326) has minor changes internally and externally but nothing drastic apart from the extra vol. superb point to point soldering throughout on both, never had a dry joint in either.
pic four the voltage selector..what a simple and great idea if you play in other countries as well as here

Edited by ogri

• 1 year later...

[quote name='ogri' post='409773' date='Feb 14 2009, 11:09 PM']technically neither is standard thinking about it, i converted them both to use kettle plug leads :)[/quote]

Dunno if you'll get this Ogri but anyway - I've got one of these in mint condition and my local shop did a onceover but nothing had to be replaced (it's a 70/72 also), fella there reckons the last one they sold went for £249.

Did you eventually get yours shifted?

[quote name='ogri' post='409773' date='Feb 14 2009, 11:09 PM']technically neither is standard thinking about it, i converted them both to use kettle plug leads :)[/quote]
You did the right thing dude, those old Bulgin plugs were a lethal accident waiting to happen.