Why become a member? ×

My new Spector

Dan_Nailed

Will take some better pictures but arrived yesterday, it's fantastic:

The first Spector I played was an old NS5CRFM in Bass Centre Manchester back in 2002-ish. Ever since then I've started a love affair with the company and this is my third. Got it direct from US via my artist endorsement, as Spector don't have a UK distributor at the minute. Got stung on Import & VAT for £225 but due to endorsement worked out £750 cheaper than any other seller!

The action is unbelievably low, don't like the strings though. Needs a new battery, 18V mod, some D'Addario Pro Steels and the preamp removing (never use it) then it'll be perfect.

Next I'm after a NS-5XL - think I'll wait for the recession to ease before going for that one! ;)

Edited by Dan_Nailed

I'd be wary of modding to 18v unless you know something I don't.

The pre doubles the voltage from 9v to 18v anyway and if you add another battery you may be putting 36v thru the pre (the pups remain at battery voltage) and that could be 'interesting' to say the least.

'She canna take it Spock'

I've just put an ACG02 into a friends one of these and it has transformed the 'musicality' of the bass giving lots of added overtones and flexibility without diminishing the Spector active EMG growl.

If it does it for you as is that's good though. I'm planning on putting another ACG02 into my 4!

Edited to say: I really should have read your post more thoroughly ;) I see it's the pups you want to upgrade to 18 and remove the pre. Everyone to their own. What sort of music do you play? Anything subtle? :P

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

That's a beauty! Congrats! ;)

As Greeneking noted.... it should be running at 18v anyway so no need for a mod...
Also, just curious.....if you don't like/want the pre-amp then why didn't you get Spector to fit the one you want?

[quote name='kdphysio' post='407272' date='Feb 12 2009, 08:21 AM']Hope you got a good deal there, coz Reverb have got the exact same bass for £599 (ex-demo/display though).[/quote]

I paid for this just as Reverb got set up, and after ringing round their clearance section they had no Euro's left so ordered a brand new one from PJ. Let's say I paid a couple of hundred quid more for a brand new model...

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='407315' date='Feb 12 2009, 09:27 AM']Edited to say: I really should have read your post more thoroughly ;) I see it's the pups you want to upgrade to 18 and remove the pre. Everyone to their own. What sort of music do you play? Anything subtle? :P

Peter[/quote]

Not subtle at all, that's why I like simplicity! The way I see it is I've got a tube preamp in my Bass 400+ and in the EMG's themselves, I don't need another one between the pickups and the amp. I never used either the Tonepump or the BTS in either of my basses for tone shaping either.

[quote name='cetera' post='407389' date='Feb 12 2009, 10:38 AM']That's a beauty! Congrats! :huh:

As Greeneking noted.... it should be running at 18v anyway so no need for a mod...
Also, just curious.....if you don't like/want the pre-amp then why didn't you get Spector to fit the one you want?[/quote]

See above, kinda, but the only kind of preamp I ever found useful was a 3 band with sweepable mids, and that was only when using amps that weren't mine. The 3 band helps you dial in a usable sound regardless of the quality of head you're using, but I haven't used someone else's amp head in years and don't plan to start now I've got a Mesa! I would have ordered the bass with just a volume and a blend control, but this would have been considered a "custom" job at the factory and would have added two months to the wait. I think the Czech factory has a separate team for anything custom, this team is small and they're backordered.

[quote name='agoulding' post='407423' date='Feb 12 2009, 11:05 AM']gorgeous bass.

Nailed are awesome too. Why didnt you play in hereford after? i thought you were year or two back? with a band called figure of hate?[/quote]

Well we had petrol to cover and they wern't sure they'd cover it with it being the first gig they'd booked at that venue, so they said they'd be in touch if it was a success and that was that. If you know any of them tell the to get in touch we plan to play all over after we record our 3rd album.

[quote name='Toasted' post='407586' date='Feb 12 2009, 01:46 PM']I think I've met you, Dan - in the upstairs room at Jabez Clegg at a Profane gig w/ Darryll. AMIRITE? :)[/quote]

I believe URRITE!

[quote name='Dan_Nailed' post='407682' date='Feb 12 2009, 03:45 PM']I paid for this just as Reverb got set up, and after ringing round their clearance section they had no Euro's left so ordered a brand new one from PJ. Let's say I paid a couple of hundred quid more for a brand new model...[/quote]

Nice one. ;)

Spector's new UK distibutor is/will be 'first line music'. They apparently should be up & running this month.

Karl

Spectors are immense, congrats Dan, it's awesome.

I'm yet to come across one I don't like. I had a go on 3 more a couple of nights ago, and Alan's (Homer) ACG upgraded Spector was totally fabulous. Power, tone, playability, all you could want from a bass.

[quote name='Dan_Nailed' post='407682' date='Feb 12 2009, 03:45 PM']Well we had petrol to cover and they wern't sure they'd cover it with it being the first gig they'd booked at that venue, so they said they'd be in touch if it was a success and that was that. If you know any of them tell the to get in touch we plan to play all over after we record our 3rd album.[/quote]

Bugger.

I'll let them know.

The metal scene here has dissapeared now. It needs a kick up the arse! Im sure nailed could do that tbf.

Some of my mates organise gigs so let me know if you want me to talk to them/make suggestions

More pics:

As you can see I've gotten rid of the Tonepump(which I'm selling in the for sale section), it's just two volumes now. Shame about the holes, never did find a solution to that problem...

Also here's an interesting comparison, I modded the bass to 18V but did a before and after recording at 9V and 18V, clips here:

[url="http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~dcnailed/9V.wav"]9V[/url]
[url="http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~dcnailed/18V.wav"]18V[/url]

These are both straight into the desk, no EQ, compression or anything. Gain was set the same as the 18V mod doesn't increase or decrease output.

Interesting the hear the difference, it's subtle but definitely perceivable. I should have done a recording of the Tonepump flat at 9V to see how it affected the tone but didn't think to. One thing I'm 100% certain about is that the flat Tonepump doesn't sound as full and growly as the 18V pickups on their own.

Edited by Dan_Nailed

[quote name='kdphysio' post='410480' date='Feb 15 2009, 10:37 PM']definitely a 'fuller' sound at 18v. shame you didn't record the tone pump version.

i must admit, i couldn't spend that amount on a stunning new bass, & then start stripping things out of it (isn't there a bass out there with 'your' sound as standard?)![/quote]

Ah, but surely they'd have to charge less for selling a bass with no preamp in it ;)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='410481' date='Feb 15 2009, 10:38 PM']I do like that black bridge...I think I may swap the hardware around with my amber Rebop. I don't mind gold hardware with amber finished but I don't like it at all with the black cherry..waddya think?

[/quote]

There's options C & D too:

Option C: Order a black bridge from Spector and black Schaller M4's from anywhere, sell the gold hardware on here (the bridge would be harder to shift than the tuners).

Option D: Get the gold bridge anodized (either send it away or do it yourself with an at-home kit), and buy new tuners. This gives you the benefit of having a brass bridge on your Euro - I think the black bridge on the Rebop and my Euro are steel, as they're almost powder coated like those black Pearl drum hardware.

But I personally don't think black and amber goes together so I would swap them over. The reason I got black is that I think gold hardware on anything is a little bling(except black basses, then it works) and that Euro's with gold hardware look hodgepode - coloured gloss, gold bridge and tuners, black nobs and pickups, brass nut, pearl inlays yadda yadda. Lots of clashes. I'm even gonna put a black input jack on mine to match up, sad I know.

Edited by Dan_Nailed

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='410491' date='Feb 15 2009, 10:46 PM']Rubber blanking grommets - the solution ;)

Peter[/quote]

Finding somewhere wih them in stock is a pain...I'd have to order a few different sizes as each of my bass is differently drilled. No anywhere that does them online?

I think they do make black brass bridges, but I think they go on the US basses...my US bolt on has a brass, black coated bridge. The coating is wearing off a little and you can see the brass underneath. The footprint of these bridges is different to the Euro's though.

Edited by Dan_Nailed