Why become a member? ×

Home Recording

steviedee

Anyone got any experience of home recording an upright? I just purchased a se 2200a mic and can get my hands on some small condensers.

I'm thinking of going into a laptop if I was using a desk I'd have peamps but I'll be DIing into the computer. Could I use my pjb briefcase (which has a bass buddy preamp and DI out) as a preamp and plug the mics into a wee mixer, then into the briefcase, and finally into the laptop or is that a really dumb idea!

Edited by steviedee

I used these 2 to record the second Red Jackson album:

[url="http://www.dv247.com/invt/34626/"]Tascam US-144[/url] - USB interface, used this to plug 2 mics into the laptop (mac/logic) and record whole trio live in stereo with a matched pair of Rode condensers.

[url="http://www.dv247.com/invt/38923/"]PreSonus FireStudio[/url] - actually I used the discontinued Firepod this is based on, firewire interface, used this to close mic instruments/guitar cab (up to 8 xlrs available) and record band live.

Used a Sennheiser e609 mic on the bass with the Firepod, sometimes with my Underwood pu thru Fishman pro eq platinum preamp as well. Mic seems to sound best about 12" (maybe a bit more, thinking about it, 18" perhaps) from the f-hole on treble side.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='404354' date='Feb 9 2009, 02:53 PM']The mixer would suffice as a DI but you may suffer from your standard soundcard. I would suggest buying a decent firewire or USB audio interface. Some of them even have pre-amps with phantom power so you'd only need the one box.[/quote]

Cheers Cheddatom I probably didn't explain myself to well I have an m-audio fastback which is basic but fine I could plug the mic straight into that and record the bass acoustically, but wondered if there would be anything to gain from running the mic through a preamp, the only one I have being on the briefcase. This might be a sh*t idea mind you!

The briefcase is very cool I've used for smallish gigs and as a monitor for larger venues and taken a Di into the desk I really like it, I'm going to try for the suitcase though as I worry about cranking it to be honest but for quiet gigs its plenty loud. Perfect for acoustic.

[quote name='steviedee' post='404581' date='Feb 9 2009, 06:01 PM']Hey Teej that's awesome man the tracks on the website sound absolutely brilliant...[/quote]

Awwww, thanks ;) - we had a great engineer tweaking all the files in logic - [url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=44196635"]Gillan Mclaughlin[/url] who is also an excellent soul/funk/jazz drummer.

I recorded a friend playing a while ago- I used an AKG bass drum mic (can't recall the model- was borrowed) close up and an AKG C1000s at distance straight into a Soundcraft compact 4 mixer- worked pretty well as I recall with minimal processing. Managed to set it up so I could mix the two channels independently in Cubase which is good because you can experiment with mic levels without having to do a fresh take every time!