Why become a member? ×

Any effect can help with this sound?

karlfer

Hope somebody can help.

I've been lucky enough to get some gigs with a great band. They are very busy & the bassist wants some weekends off & I'm delighted to do them.

They don't rehearse so I'm working the stuff out myself.

The guitarist wants me to play the linked below keyboard line on bass. I'm struggling as he wants it playing  C#   HO D D D, where as I'm struggling to get away from thinking  (8ths) DDDD

Anyway, any ideas on a possible effect to get my P sounding like the link below (don't listen to anymore than 30 seconds, you will lose the will to live!)

BUGGER, I've just listened to it again, it's a didgereedoo  🤣

Edited by karlfer

The bassline sounds out of sync with the guitar, because the guitar is not following the bassline. If the bass just played straight 8ths on D, it would sound much better.

Ask Chris Glenn if you have his permission to play straight Ds and if he says yes you can tell your guitarist to eff off. https://www.facebook.com/CHRISGLENSAHBMSG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

TSK!

Sorry, playing one note like a metronome for 2.5 minutes before vocals come in is a challenge to my aging concentration!

11 hours ago, gjones said:

The bassline sounds out of sync with the guitar, because the guitar is not following the bassline. If the bass just played straight 8ths on D, it would sound much better.

Ask Chris Glenn if you have his permission to play straight Ds and if he says yes you can tell your guitarist to eff off. https://www.facebook.com/CHRISGLENSAHBMSG

Oooh, thanks for that Gareth, don't know if I dare, I get tongue tied conversing with famous peeps, especially ones that did a mouse dance on TOGWT 😲😚

Mind. LOVE that Explorer, looks Washburn, 80's.

The problem with using pedals to generate a rhythm is that drummers get upset, as I found when using a tremelo pedal to excatly duplicate the sound of Boulevard of broken dreams. (Echo is better for the rythym as you can get it near enough and 'reset' at the start of each bar, but then it spills over the chord changes).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I've never used any effects pedals before @Happy Jack  I don't really understand how that would help get the kind of sound or "feel" that the guitarist is looking for?

I think Jack's suggestion was to use a looper to save you having to play it all the way through.

I'd try using a lot of distortion (it sounds like a 'square wave' is the starting point) but with the tone rolled right back and perhaps some very slow flange or chorus at a low level, which will help stop it from getting too monotonous.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Yup, play the first two bars, kick in the looper, go and get a beer, maybe watch the band.

Like yer style Jack me lad 😁

No I don't have any effects, never used any but if I can get something for this one piece, I'll use it.

And sell it when I get fired after 2 gigs 😭