Why become a member? ×

The Ergonomic Bass / Gazzumper

Prosebass

Looks terrific, Paul...great minds think alike!

I'm quite envious that you can build things out of wood and don't have to resort to hardboard like me!

I look forward to seeing how it develops - I suspect progress will be a little faster than my build.

I think you should call the bass 'The Gazzumper' ;)

-Kev

[quote name='Spoombung' post='399945' date='Feb 4 2009, 01:31 PM']Looks terrific, Paul...great minds think alike!

I'm quite envious that you can build things out of wood and don't have to resort to hardboard like me!

I look forward to seeing how it develops - I suspect progress will be a little faster than my build.

I think you should call the bass 'The Gazzumper' ;)

-Kev[/quote]

Just wished I'd shown you the drawings instead of going down the headless Wal-esque route we were looking at.
I take inspiration from [url="http://buildingtheergonomicguitar.com/2008/02/bass-guitar-design.html"]This Site[/url]
And have been following the progress of a lot of builds there.

It will be a little quicker as it will probably be finished in a day or two providing I drag myself away from here...
As regards working in wood , have a go ! you obviously are very artistic its just a case of turning those drawings into 3-D and if its a one-off nobody can tell you you have done something wrong :)

It could have Gazzumper on the headstock as I like the sound of that, but there's not room... :P

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='budget bassist' post='406854' date='Feb 11 2009, 07:38 PM']That's looking pretty cool, though i can't help thinking it would look nicer if the edges were a bit more contoured...
Also i've just realised why that bridge is so big, looks rather cool ;)[/quote]

The top edge is nicely contoured for your forearm but the rest isn't as it sits better on your knee. It was designed to be played sat down !.... :P

[quote name='kdphysio' post='407176' date='Feb 12 2009, 12:02 AM']is that a natural or a coloured varnish used to get that colour finish? it's just the colour i want for a little project of mine. ;)

cheers,

karl[/quote]

I experimented quite a bit with the finish

6 x coats of Ronseal Antique Oil (tung oil and resins)
Flat back with 1200 paper
Liberal waxing until impregnated
Flat back again
Mer car polish
Buff

all hand finished no varnish or colour, came out quite good

[quote name='kdphysio' post='407176' date='Feb 12 2009, 12:02 AM']is that a natural or a coloured varnish used to get that colour finish? it's just the colour i want for a little project of mine. :P

cheers,

karl[/quote]

Hi Karl
Just to elaborate a little on the finish. The Antique oil is colored but it is a pink / purple color and does not color the mahogany.
The oil soaks in and the natural resins seal the grain and form a coating on the surface. I have flatted that back and then used a normal furniture polish hand applied and buffed up with a Car polisher (£20.00) from Halfords and save a lot of arm ache.
After several applications the excess wax builds up on the surface so you know the wood is fully penetrated. Flat back carefully again with 1200 paper until you achieve the desired color. Be careful on the edges as its easy to go straight through to the wood surface although you can use this to get a nice lighter effect around the edge.
I brought the shine back by hand-polishing using a Car polish "Mer" although any "buff off" polish will achieve the same effect.
Just remember to use lint free cloth when applying the oil and wax.
The only drawback with this method is that although the wood is sealed it is a "soft" finish and the wood is still prone to scratching and dents.
Everything is available at B&Q and non of it is toxic or harmful.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='407284' date='Feb 12 2009, 08:34 AM']looks great![/quote]

Cheers Kev.....lets hope it sounds ok ;)

[quote name='Prosebass' post='407332' date='Feb 12 2009, 09:40 AM']Hi Karl
Just to elaborate a little on the finish. The Antique oil is colored but it is a pink / purple color and does not color the mahogany.
The oil soaks in and the natural resins seal the grain and form a coating on the surface. I have flatted that back and then used a normal furniture polish hand applied and buffed up with a Car polisher (£20.00) from Halfords and save a lot of arm ache.
After several applications the excess wax builds up on the surface so you know the wood is fully penetrated. Flat back carefully again with 1200 paper until you achieve the desired color. Be careful on the edges as its easy to go straight through to the wood surface although you can use this to get a nice lighter effect around the edge.
I brought the shine back by hand-polishing using a Car polish "Mer" although any "buff off" polish will achieve the same effect.
Just remember to use lint free cloth when applying the oil and wax.
The only drawback with this method is that although the wood is sealed it is a "soft" finish and the wood is still prone to scratching and dents.
Everything is available at B&Q and non of it is toxic or harmful.[/quote]

Cheers for that. Much appreciated! ;)

Karl

(it looks great by the way....wierd, but great!)

Edited by kdphysio

[quote name='Spoombung' post='408127' date='Feb 12 2009, 11:05 PM']Oh wow, that looks really nice! I look forward to playing it (not keen on strings high above the body, though). I demand a 12.5% discount if i buy it![/quote]

:)

The high strings are a necessary evil due to using the 462 bridge.
I have kept the pickups well away from the strings as well and it seems to help the tone and sustain.
Looking forward to Sunday.... :P
Just got to get the Precision finished and a 5 string on Saturday..... ;)