Why become a member? ×

akai deep impact problem

petervfunkster

[quote name='petervfunkster' post='398903' date='Feb 3 2009, 01:33 PM']another question -
is using a different power supply thats 9v potentially damaging to my deep impact?[/quote]
If your power supply is one of those multi voltage selector jobbies, sending 12v into the pedal by accident might give it a bit of a hangover. Is the LCD display showing partially lit sectors? If so, this would suggest a short has happened somewhere.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='398935' date='Feb 3 2009, 02:02 PM']Can't you plug the american psu (with an adaptor) into the mains? That should work.[/quote]

Only if it's a regulated SMPS which I don't think it is.

I've had two Deep Impacts in my time and although it's a while since I sold them I do recall there being something unusual about the PSU voltage, I think that it was closer to 10V than 9V and due to the digital circuitry the pedal had a habit of freaking out when run from a lower voltage 9V supply. Great sounding pedal, horrible reliability issues.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='398962' date='Feb 3 2009, 02:23 PM']Only if it's a regulated SMPS which I don't think it is.[/quote]

I don't know what that is! But I do know I have several AC-DC convertors that have american plug on and I just put an adaptor on the end. Am I risking anything?

In particular two laptops and a 9v DC pedal supply.

so..
I got the original american AKAI power supply that came with it, and after a minute it cut out with a smell of smoke! disaster!
The deep impact itself is fine.. It seems to be working now with the BOSS 9V power supply, I was daisy chaining it with a distortion previously so maybe that was the issue? I know the korg microsynth manual specifies no daisychaining..