Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Status bass - upgrade wood neck to graphite ?

Jambo63

Hello all,

Recently bought a seconhand Status Energy Bass and it's from around mid 90s (thanks to Rob Green at Status for this info)

The electrics are good but the wood body needs to be refurbished as it's seen a fair bit of action (think it's mahogany)

I was thinking of upgrading the neck to a graphite one and was wondering what are they like to play on, do they feel / play differently from wood necks ?

I've already got a quote from Rob at Status, and although fairly expensive, I'm tempted to upgrade, just looking for feedback etc from all you Status owners out there ;)

Cheers
Fraser

I bought a Status Energy 5 from Dr Dave a few years back and the Status graphite neck (a similar modifcation to that you're proposing) was very fast, very straight and no doubt a significant improvement on the original. Although graphite is a great material to play, tone is a complex issue when talking wood versus graphite. Whilst I believe many basses are not improved by moving from wood to graphite (passive Precisions for example), I'd say Statii most certainly are
Chris

[quote name='Wil' post='398914' date='Feb 3 2009, 01:42 PM']I actually preferred the tone of my old wood necked Series 1 to my graphite necked S2, however, so I'd agree its very subjective! The graphite was a far nicer playing surface and felt great, though.[/quote]

Thanks Wil - you're right, basses are subjective, one man's bass is another man's plank of wood :)

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='399074' date='Feb 3 2009, 03:54 PM']I've got a graphite Energy and it is f***ing fantastic. ;)[/quote]

:huh: Stan, now there's an endorsement

Thanks for all your replies, it looks like I'll take the plunge and go graphite :P

Will try and post some before and after pics

Cheers
Fraser

[quote name='Wil' post='398914' date='Feb 3 2009, 01:42 PM']I actually preferred the tone of my old wood necked Series 1 to my graphite necked S2, however, so I'd agree its very subjective![/quote]
Yup. I have an old wood-necked Series 1 and prefer it to most of the [s]plastic[/s] graphite Status necks I've tried. ;)

[quote name='Wil' post='398914' date='Feb 3 2009, 01:42 PM']I actually preferred the tone of my old wood necked Series 1 to my graphite necked S2, however, so I'd agree its very subjective! The graphite was a far nicer playing surface and felt great, though.[/quote]

Ditto. I love the feel of graphite but have always preferred the tone of the wood-necked basses.

Many thanks for all your comments guys, very much appreciated, I shall be replying to Rob's e-mail tonight to kick off the process. Will also ask if they can refurbish the body as well (it looks like the previous owner used it for slap as there's some marking/damage below the end of the neck. Maybe a bit of sculpting or contouring to disguise this would be in order)

Dr Dave that is a stunning looking bass, the new top on it is amazing. It's given me something else to think about in doing up my bass. ;)

As I said previously I'll try and put up some pics (in the build forum)

Cheers
Fraser

Thanks JimH

Rob has come back to me and advised it'll take 3 to 4 weeks to get the new neck ready for the bass. Plenty of time to work out what I want to do with the body. Maybe thinking of changing the colour from its dark mahogany natural wood to a solid glossy black. Keep most of the hardware as black but have the control knobs as silver. Would look quite effective I think. ;)

Cheers
Fraser