Why become a member? ×

Ibanez bass (or not) : help needed

DonaldG

Hi everyone, I have an Ibanez bass which I've owned for about 28 years and which I bought from a junk store for about £30 as my first bass as a teenager. It has some cosmetic wear which is consistent with heavy use over the years but still plays well. However, I don't use it much now and I was thinking of giving it to a friend who has started playing.  

I was looking online to try and get some more info on the guitar before I handed it over and so did a search on the serial number.  It suggests it is a Japanese made 1983 Ibanez, possibly a Blazer, (made at the Terada factory in Nagano in Japan). However, the headstock has a) no markings on it and b) has a shape not consistent with the Blazer, rather it looks more like a precision bass head. The body looks like a Blazer. Some web searches I've done suggest the guitar could be collectable but I'm not sure if it's maybe had some bit swapped out on it or it's not an Ibanez Blazer and the serial plate has been put on another bass. 

I've attached some photos and would be interested to hear from other forum members who know more about Ibanez to see if they can help pin down the model and to determine if it's worth anything (and I can then offer it for sale and finance my next bass purchase). 

Thanks in advance. 

IMG_4850.JPG

IMG_4851.JPG

IMG_4852.JPG

Just about now, some insufferable know-all is going to steam in and say it was made by Fujigen Gakki, not Terada and will someone please correct the pernicious rubbish spread by the bloody Guitar Dater Project before it gets fire-bombed by militant vintage MIJ guitar fans.

But not me, guv.

I will say a couple of things though - it's not a Blazer, I think it's a Roadstar II RB630. The horns are a slightly different shape and it doesn't have the chunky brass bridge you'd find on a Blazer.

It's a bit messed around but is worth a little more than £30 - Pity someone's butchered the headstock, but it looks otherwise intact, & with a clean and new strings/a decent setup it'd probably fetch £150 or so.

I think if it was mine I'd reshape the headstock to look more like the original 1980 Blazer style. Just to confuse people like me.

oudrpmhifnsb4vnuj9sy.jpg

• Like 4

In fact, it's an Ibanez BL-800 BY (the same as the BL-700, except for the white pickguard and the laminated mahogany body due to the solid colour) in Burgundy red rom 1982 with the headstock reshaped (butchered), missing brass knobs, missing brass bridge and in poor condition. Not worth more than 100 GBP, the kind of bass you find in crash converters very often, absolutely not a collector, especially in this butchered version.

1982_Ibanez_Basses_03.jpg

Edited by Hellzero
Slight corrections
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Just about now, some insufferable know-all is going to steam in and say it was made by Fujigen Gakki, not Terada and will someone please correct the pernicious rubbish spread by the bloody Guitar Dater Project before it gets fire-bombed by militant vintage MIJ guitar fans.

But not me, guv.

I will say a couple of things though - it's not a Blazer, I think it's a Roadstar II RB630. The horns are a slightly different shape and it doesn't have the chunky brass bridge you'd find on a Blazer.

It's a bit messed around but is worth a little more than £30 - Pity someone's butchered the headstock, but it looks otherwise intact, & with a clean and new strings/a decent setup it'd probably fetch £150 or so.

I think if it was mine I'd reshape the headstock to look more like the original 1980 Blazer style. Just to confuse people like me.

oudrpmhifnsb4vnuj9sy.jpg

About the bridge, it's not the original bridge. It's a Schaller 3D.

Edited by bassaussie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bassaussie said:

About the bridge, it's not the original bridge. It's a Schaller 3D.

So it is - I should've looked closer! Definitely worth more than £30, then - those are excellent bidges and not exactly cheap.

@Hellzero No, mate it's not. The serial number dates it to November 1983 which was around two years after the Blazer disappeared from the Ibanez range - Blazers & Roadsters were both superceded by the Roadstar II line, of which this is an example

Specifically an it's RB630, which I might have mentioned. The body shape is very slightly different to the Roadster and it originally would've had a BBOT bridge, which is doubtless why someone stuck a Schaller on it.

05.jpg

I have been wrong about many, if not most things in my life but not about this. :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone who provided input on my thread. Really appreciate the information. It still plays really nicely and has a nice tone. I may just keep it if my friend does not want it but at least I now know a bit more about it. 

• Like 2