Why become a member? ×

Onboard or outboard preamp???

Hoppo75

Hiya guys.

Even though I've played for nigh on 20 years, and know my precision inside out, my knowledge of electronics is absolutely limited to 'active and passive'. My jazz project is going great guns, and having just had Fender SCN's fitted pre strip down, I've been thinking about going down the 'active electronics' route as per jazz deluxe. However, I have absolutely no idea what the hell this entails, and I've been further confused but a lot of BC'ers using outboard pre's (sadowskys etc). The body hasn't any paint applied to it so now is the time to get my Luthier mate to do the necessary, but though I'd ask to see what advice was on offer here.

thanks folks.

It depends. There are good and bad onboard pre-amps and good and bad outboard. Onboard needs a cavity for the circuit and battery. The East preamps are designed to fit into the existing Jazz route. The very best outboard pre's such as EBS Microbass II have far more options and facilities than an onboard can ever have, but they cost a lot.

onboard you are stuck with it and need batteries so unplugging the cable is a must when not playing to avoid battery drain
you need space routed for the gizmo

++ is you can adjust eq for each part of a song right on the bass

offboard you can change the item and use mains or phantom power

- - is you need to set your requirements at the unit...which can be close enough to step over and adjust

personally i would say the offboard is more versatile as it can embody a graphic

I've always loved onboard preamps, nothing too complicated, and you can't use things like coil tap and series/parallel switches on an outboard preamp (though do you need to have a preamp in your bass to do it?) they're relatively inexpensive anyway, and if you get an active/passive switch installed, it's just added versatility, and you could always get an outboard preamp too to compliment it. Personally, i've found a 2 band onboard pre (3 band would be nicer) and the 5 band amp EQ enough (though i would like a 7 band graphic) to be just about enough, though obviously it's about what you feel comfortable with.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='397112' date='Feb 1 2009, 07:07 PM']I've always loved onboard preamps, nothing too complicated, and you can't use things like coil tap and series/parallel switches on an outboard preamp (though do you need to have a preamp in your bass to do it?) they're relatively inexpensive anyway, and if you get an active/passive switch installed, it's just added versatility, and you could always get an outboard preamp too to compliment it. Personally, i've found a 2 band onboard pre (3 band would be nicer) and the 5 band amp EQ enough (though i would like a 7 band graphic) to be just about enough, though obviously it's about what you feel comfortable with.[/quote]
Coil taps and series/parallel switches have nothing to do with pre-amps, they are a function of the pickups.

A preamp is just another form of signal processor - it doesn't matter whether it's on-board or in a pedal, it does the same job and any circuit will sound the same wherever it's housed.

I've been thinking of getting an ACG EQ02 and putting it in a pedal housing ;)

Speaking as a confirmed luddite, I have to say putting batteries into guitars is just plain WRONG ;-).

Electronics evolve much more quickly than instrument design. If you bought or made a great passive bass today, in twenty years time you will have a great classic bass. If you bought or made a great active bass today, in twenty years time you will have a great classic bass with outdated electronics. Keep your electronics outside the bass, and you can change them whenever something better comes along with minimum fuss.

Just my 2p worth.