Why become a member? ×

The mother of all bass FX

Fraktal

Finding my way round this thing now,it's pretty good eh.I am having a challenge getting my input level up though.I'm plugging the bass straight into my mic/line in socket on my soundcard,I've had a fiddle with the settings but i cant get any more than 1/4 up the level indicator.Do i need a proper interface then or am i missing something.
thanks in advance. ;)

Yup, most audio cards' input are meant to plug a microphone (low impedance). To have a good signal level when plugging an instrument directly into it you need a soundcard with a high impedance input. Some cards have a button next to the input to switch between high/low impedance.

[quote name='MananaMan' post='396173' date='Jan 31 2009, 03:01 PM']don't know why they haven't brought out a stand alone box full of DSP of this - much as Guitar Rig[/quote]

I am pretty certain the guitar rig kontrol does not have any dsp processing power what so ever. All it is is an audio interface with a couple of footswitches.

I absolutely love GR2, the modifiers are easily the best bit for making sounds that would be impossible with pedals unless you had a 101 arms at your disposal.

that's a great review. Anyhow, I understand those who pointed out the BA500 thing. I've tried to tweak it a lot. In vain. It just seems not to be able to deliver a good sound for today's bass players. The solid state tone it's got sounds pointless to me. It's not exactly what one would call "clean", nor is it a very gritty sounding head. Since we are living in the age of extremes, I definitely prefer to rely on the CL or the SVT-4. Anyhow, did anyone tried to enable automations (using a host like cubase, reaper... ). i've got some experience in automating Guitar Rig 3 parameters ([url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=IT&hl=it&v=Df1ljlMXpLc&fmt=18"]see here[/url]), but never tried with SVX.

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='401774' date='Feb 6 2009, 09:24 AM']I'm clueless about software like so a little help please.
Can you run this as a stand alone or is it a plug in whereby you need other software to run it ??
I have a fairly decent pcmcia sound card on the lappy with a mic/instrument input which i sometimes use for jamming along to music.If i got this software will it run on it's own,ie with the bass plugged into the sound card.Also could i then plug the lappy into a bass amp ??
Told you i was a dumbass hehe.[/quote]

What spec is your laptop?

Wanna know if i can run this on mine:

1.6 Celeron M 360
2gig ram
M Audio 4/4 usb interface

I've always suffered latency so bought the interface (struggled with compatibility issues with my old Tascam) hoping this will sort it out

Hi lemmy,
not sure about its spec tbh,i would'nt know where to start,if you tell where to look i'll have a go.However it's a fairly old Fujitsu Siemens C series lifebook if that helps.It's never been past 18% of the CPU capacity according to the software.I've no latency problems whatsoever and it sounds great through a cambridge surround sound jobby. ;)

I used the software at rehearsal last night.I have a Creative audigy soundblaster pcmcia card in the lappy,the bass was plugged into the line in on that and then the headphone out went into the jack on my amp.I basically scrolled through the presets till i found something sorta like what i use and then tried to tweak it.If i'm honest,with my amp set flat it was quite muddy on most of them.This could be to do with me going straight into the line in and not using an interface,not sure.If an interface would sort out the tone i wouldnt think twice about using this software live.I've made a few presets for home use and it's a breeze to go from maybe a motown or reggae thud to nice middy funk with a mouse click.
Cool stuff.

I borrowed an interface last night to see if i can justify the price of buying one,without success i'm afraid. I'm not doing any home recording and dont plan to yet.It was a Behringer one that comes with their 2442 desk.It only has phono's so i plugged the bass into my mini desk,then from the desk tape out to the interface then USB to the laptop.I either had a mess of crackles or decent tone with major lag.Could it be the interface i used if so do i need a better one or could it have been the lappy.I get no lag using the line but the tone could be better,it's great through the headphones btw.
Thanks in advance.

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='409463' date='Feb 14 2009, 03:12 PM']Could it be the interface i used if so do i need a better one or could it have been the lappy.I get no lag using the line but the tone could be better,it's great through the headphones btw.[/quote]
If it sounds great with headphones plugged into the audio interface then the problem sounds more like how you're dealing with the output.

You didn't say (or I missed it) how you're sending the audio interface's output to the outside world?

Edited by Eight

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='410607' date='Feb 15 2009, 11:25 PM']I could'nt get it to work properly at all with the interface,i got either crackles with no lag or decent tone with loads of lag.I've gone back to using the line in and headphone out on the soundcard.[/quote]
Ah right. I don't think using the headphone out to carry the signal to an amp is going work out too well - but if your soundcard doesn't have a proper out then you're screwed.

I'm a bit surprised it all runs okish with a soundcard, but your system is struggling with a proper audio interface. What's the spec of the laptop? Assuming its half decent then you would want an audio interface at some point really - did you use ASIO drivers or MME when you tried the Behringer?

I had one interface where the ASIO drivers were woeful - MME was better but problematic so I installed ASIO4ALL (asio emulation for MME devices) and that worked a treat.