Why become a member? ×

The mother of all bass FX

Fraktal

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='410765' date='Feb 16 2009, 09:39 AM']I tried every possible setting for the interface,well on the software at least,if there's anything i needed to change in the laptop that'd be me stump'd.I tried it through the rig last week and it was muddy,(my rig is'nt muddy on it's own) but through the headphones it's clear.[/quote]

If it's clear through the headphones, but muddy through the amp, that would be caused by your amp's and cab's sound. Could you not get it to clear up using your amp's EQ? Take some lows off etc. When you're playing through headphones, you're probably using the cab simulation. It could be an idea to turn this off. Anyway, as it sounds fine through your headphones, you should be able to get it to sound fine at volume. I would only be worrying about your connections if you were getting a low input signal, or if your highs had disappeared, or if there was unwanted distortion etc. (all the problems that can come from using an instrument straight into dodgy line-inputs)

I think trying ASIO4ALL could have worked - did you do that? Did you adjust the buffer size for the input on the interface?

You would be able to use the line-in and put the output into your minirig. Whether it will sound good, or work well....

You're better waiting until you get it set up and in place. You can get decent interfaces for £60ish these days so it's not as though it's a massive hidden future investment.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='411216' date='Feb 16 2009, 03:34 PM']You would be able to use the line-in and put the output into your minirig. Whether it will sound good, or work well....

You're better waiting until you get it set up and in place. You can get decent interfaces for £60ish these days so it's not as though it's a massive hidden future investment.[/quote]

The worry I have is latency, would that be a factor?

I've had some trouble using this through my amp too. Problem is, I havent got balanced inputs on my head, so I get all sorts of clicks, pops and hiss from the interface (Focusrite Saffire 10 i/o Pro) I'm quite lucky in that my "studio" monitors are excellent and handle my bass easily at good volumes but I'd like to get it into a practice at full whack some time! Apart from the hiss though, it sounds like it does from my monitors, so it must be a problem with the EQ on your amp or the interface...

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='411177' date='Feb 16 2009, 03:06 PM']Would I be able to use it through the the line in or would I need an interface?[/quote]
You could... but let's say you've decided it you'll use it enough to make buying the software worthwhile. You'd be better off whacking another 512MB into the machine and finding the cheapest USB audio interface you can. Any of them would be better than the onboard sound (which is generally stinking).

Even something like this [url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/8522"]http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/8522[/url] would be worth a shot.

Software like this is really designed to be sent to studio monitors/PA systems not amps though.

Trying not to get too techie - but the interface I just posted (which is £5 cheaper on dv247.com btw) doesn't have a Hi-Z instrument input, just general inputs. I'm undecided at this point exactly how much difference this makes... in my case, it doesn't seem like much.

Edit: the output from your amp head into interface might work a treat though.

I've tended to plug the bass direct into a Hi-Z instrument connector and the signal is a little low. But then my bass is sh*t and quiet anyway. With a bit of volume adjusting in the software, I'm getting some fun sounds from Amplitube/Guitar Rig etc. and even did a bit of bass recording over the weekend just for a laugh.

Edited by Eight

[quote name='cheddatom' post='411258' date='Feb 16 2009, 04:11 PM']Kenny, you should try your laptop in your amp's FX loop!![/quote]
That's clever.

Edit: just to point out I wasn't being sarcastic, that really is clever thinking.

Edited by Eight

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='411266' date='Feb 16 2009, 04:16 PM']This is my practice amp, I'm wondering if it would go into the cd in.[/quote]
I'm not too hot on my hardware (slightly better on the software side) but I'd guess the CD input is designed to take the headphone out of a CD/MP3 player and might not be too great when it receives the milder signal from an audio interface. Headphone outs are pre-amplified (I think) for headphones / small speakers so you might not be getting the full quality signal from the interface/soundcard.

But having said that, it might not be too bad at all.

[quote name='Eight' post='411242' date='Feb 16 2009, 03:57 PM']You could... but let's say you've decided it you'll use it enough to make buying the software worthwhile. You'd be better off whacking another 512MB into the machine and finding the cheapest USB audio interface you can. Any of them would be better than the onboard sound (which is generally stinking).

Even something like this [url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/8522"]http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/8522[/url] would be worth a shot.

Software like this is really designed to be sent to studio monitors/PA systems not amps though.[/quote]

Hi Eight,
Thats the interface i used.....without success.I tried every setting in the software and it was either tone with lag or cracks,pops etc without lag.
Edit
I should add that it only worked or rather got sound through the software with it set on directx with the input from USB.I tried both the soundcard and USB outputs but with the exact same results.My guess is that the Behringer interface is'nt upto the job,i could be wrong tho',it has been known.

Edited by kennyrodg

You could try the headphone out from your soundcard into the CD input - at least the signal strengths would match.

For that, I wouldn't recommend spending money on an audio interface, if it sounds awful from the headphone socket of a soundcard, it'll probably still sound awful coming from the headphone socket of an audio interface.

You generally get a headphone output on on-board soundcards, as well as on USB interfaces, so you should be OK to put that into the CD input.

Kenny - not that clever, but it might help. God knows why I didn't think of it before (or no-one else in this surprisingly large thread).

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='411288' date='Feb 16 2009, 04:33 PM']Thats the interface i used.....without success.I tried every setting in the software and it was either tone with lag or cracks,pops etc without lag.[/quote]
Really? I've heard reasonably good things about those interfaces - for the money. Certainly shouldn't have had the problems you have had.

Aaaahhh wait a minute - while I was finding the link for it, I came across a comment relating to something I said earlier, warning that the Beringer ASIO drivers are junk and that you need to try ASIO4ALL to stand a chance of it working.

[quote]I couldn\'t get the Behringer Asio driver to work
but downloaded the asio4all driver and can get
a sensible 8ms latency with my guitar rig.so 10-10
for both the UCA202 and Dolphin.[/quote]

If you can borrow it again, I'd be interested to hear if using ASIO4ALL makes a difference for you.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='411544' date='Feb 16 2009, 11:13 PM']Is [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Line-6-TonePort-UX2-with-POWER-PACK_W0QQitemZ300294130803QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMidi_Controllers?hash=item300294130803&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]this[/url] overkill?[/quote]

Not at all.