Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried a Marcus Miller Pre yet?

molan

I think they look great (which I know isn't the most important thing!) but wondered what they actually sounded like?

All the reviews seem to have been good but I wonder how many magazine reviewers would ahve the nerve to tell Marcus he didn't know what he was doing with regards to tone choices!

With that in mind, interesting that he chose a pre only to put his name to and not a full pre/power head. Kinda makes sense to me really ;)

[quote name='molan' post='393701' date='Jan 28 2009, 02:31 PM']I think they look great (which I know isn't the most important thing!) but wondered what they actually sounded like?

All the reviews seem to have been good but I wonder how many magazine reviewers would ahve the nerve to tell Marcus he didn't know what he was doing with regards to tone choices!

With that in mind, interesting that he chose a pre only to put his name to and not a full pre/power head. Kinda makes sense to me really ;)[/quote]

I wouldn't mind honest feedback...... I make some good tone choices, and some bad ones !!

....... oh you mean Mr. Miller !

Well it's certainly not short of tonal options! Tons of EQ, compression, bass intensifiers, et al. My SWR Grand Prix served me very well for almost a decade and I only sent it on its way due to my preferences changing. I was about to comment that it seems a little ridiculous for a preamp to need two rack spaces and then I remembered what I'm now using...

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='393773' date='Jan 28 2009, 03:57 PM']Well it's certainly not short of tonal options! Tons of EQ, compression, bass intensifiers, et al. My SWR Grand Prix served me very well for almost a decade and I only sent it on its way due to my preferences changing. I was about to comment that it seems a little ridiculous for a preamp to need two rack spaces and then I remembered what I'm now using...

Alex[/quote]

Plus, that'd also be knocking the DB680 which has a fair few devoted fans on here. ;)

[quote name='joegarcia' post='394269' date='Jan 29 2009, 12:41 AM']Plus, that'd also be knocking the DB680 which has a fair few devoted fans on here. ;)[/quote]

The DB680 has so many valves in it that it can certainly justify being that big and heavy! I haven't heard one myself but everyone seems to love the tone.

Alex

When I was at Bass Player mag in the states, one of the reviewers had the MM pre and Demeter side by side. We both thought the Demeter pre pished over the MM pre. Granted, there was loads of tone shaping in there, but there were as many unusable tones as usuable. All this tone shaping can actually be a bad thing!