Why become a member? ×

JV Squier Precision Bass MIJ 1982 SOLD!
£615
Lancaster

ash

Having just got a new bass that has taken over as number one workhorse it’s time to thin the collection. 

This one is an early JV Squier Precision Bass. It has a JV1 prefix serial making it a late 1982 model according to the 21 Frets site. The bass has the wider string spacing and flatter neck profile of the earlier models and the desirable highly figured Sen ash bodies. 

The neck is superb on this one: frets thin and low but lots of life in them and beautiful wide dark rosewood board. I’ve owned this bass twice as I sold it and then bought it back recently. Unfortunately during its former life and subsequent time away from me it has undergone some fairly radical modding. A P bass pickup route had roughly been gouged from the wood in the bridge I covered the rather crude edges of the route I used a brass pickup ring I had made.
Please note due to several requests I’ve used a Seymour Duncan pickup with a matching black cover rather than the cream Dimarzio! 
Each pickup has independent stacked volume and tone and has some great tonal variations and real punch and clarity. Now it’s certainly no collector’s piece but it looks far better than previously and is a superb sounding instrument with a lovely low action. There are cosmetic dings but the neck is straight ,true and has plenty of play in the trussrod. I’m not certain if the spiral bridge is a replacement. The scratchplate, electrics and pickups are modded - the neck pickup looks like a US Fender. Note the replacement gold screw on the back of the headstock strap button. It has a great balance and weighs around 4.5kgs so relatively easy on the shoulders for long gigs. It comes with a gigbag as I’m now using the spare case. No trades sorry. Cash and pickup preferred and UK only. I could post at buyer’s cost. 

Edited by ash
sold
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, ash said:

Having just got a new bass that has taken over as number one workhorse it’s time to thin the collection. 

This one is an early JV Squier Precision Bass. It has a JV1 prefix serial making it a late 1982 model according to the 21 Frets site. The bass has the wider string spacing and flatter neck profile of the earlier models and the desirable highly figured Sen ash bodies. 

The neck is superb on this one: frets thin and low but lots of life in them and beautiful wide dark rosewood board. I’ve owned this bass twice as I sold it and then bought it back recently. Unfortunately during its former life and subsequent time away from me it has undergone some fairly radical modding. A P bass pickup route had roughly been gouged from the wood in the bridge position. This had a P bass pickup installed and when I initially purchased it I made a surround from an old scratchplate. The wiring was very basic and both sets of pickups shared master volume and master tone. The bass was a backup for a while to my ‘83 JV. Barely used I sold it on. Recently I came across it again. This time the second pickup had been removed and the route filled with chunks of hard wood and filler. Not the most elegant repair. It had stack pots too - a bonus - therefore I decided to remove the filler and wood - shield the route and add a vintage cream Dimarzio. To cover the rather crude edges of the route I used a brass pickup ring I had made. Each pickup has independent stacked volume and tone and has some great tonal variations and real punch and clarity. Now it’s certainly no collector’s piece but it looks far better than previously and is a superb sounding instrument with a lovely low action. There are cosmetic dings but the neck is straight ,true and has plenty of play in the trussrod. I’m not certain if the spiral bridge is a replacement. The scratchplate, electrics and pickups are modded - the neck pickup looks like a US Fender. It has a great balance and weighs around 4.5kgs so relatively easy on the shoulders for long gigs. It comes with case or gigbag - your choice. No trades sorry. Cash and pickup preferred and UK only. I could post at buyer’s cost. 

C3624797-8D92-42C4-A040-9B42CD60BB77.jpeg

D6FF534B-0460-48CA-815A-E28FB9CFC250.jpeg

54A5E444-9494-42D6-B007-9BA510BC1FFA.jpeg

DB37DFDB-03C0-42D4-8268-B06455949897.jpeg

3949F200-B165-4F88-8AF8-F26AEE27EC1F.jpeg

597FE87F-1801-4276-B436-D3D651D30F0C.jpeg

If only I had the cash!! Huge bargain!

Edited by lee650
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Beedster said:

I imagine that is a lovely lovely bass

Oh yes it certainly is - the necks are superb on these early versions, only selling as I tend to favour the JV Precision I’ve played over the last 27 years! 

• Like 1

I’ve changed the pickup to a black covered one due to requests and comments on the aesthetics. It’s now sporting a Duncan Designed pickup instead of the cream Dimarzio. Still sounds nice and punchy! 

8 minutes ago, ash said:

I’ve changed the pickup to a black covered one due to requests and comments on the aesthetics. It’s now sporting a Duncan Designed pickup instead of the cream Dimarzio. Still sounds nice and punchy! 

I was thinking how great it would look with two Dimarzios :)