Why become a member? ×

Not quite NBD G&L JB bass

sbrag

I've had this for a few weeks now and still cant get over what a cracking bass and how good a value for money it is.

I've had a jazz itch for a while and have tried/bought and sold a couple. But wanted a specific spec e.g. lake placid blue, rosewood board, block markers etc. Was tempted by ether the g&l and Sire with at spec but ended up plumping for the more traditional.

Bought it with a bit of black Friday discount from the good folks at PMT Bristol and managed to try it against a 2nd hand Sire and a Mexican Fender they had in and the G&L played and sounded better than both especially considering the Fender was about £250 more expensive.

Had an audition for a new band so I took it along with my trusty old yamaha and got the gig and said they'd want me to use the g&l as they loved the look and the tone. 

I dont know how G&L do the tribute series so cheaply but it is an absolutely cracking bass for £400. I'd absolutely recommend one over any equivalent Fenders.20191207_184251.thumb.jpg.ec9907bb35c63cdc21ff31453ac9a92f.jpg

Edited by sbrag
  • Like 9

Gorgeous bass, LPB with the blocks and binding is certainly easy on the eyes. I've heard nothing but good things about the whole Tribute line up and I'm trying my hardest not to get one of these in the sales...... this post doesn't help! 

Nice one with the new band too, good luck with it! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sbrag said:

I think andertons are still doing them at £400. I also tried the tobacco burst maple neck ones which are very nice too. 

Stop it, I'm trying to resist!!! Their sale is very tempting and the L2000 is a decent price as well. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sbrag said:

I've had this for a few weeks now and still cant get over what a cracking bass and how good a value for money it is.

I've had a jazz itch for a while and have tried/bought and sold a couple. But wanted a specific spec e.g. lake placid blue, rosewood board, block markers etc. Was tempted by ether the g&l and Sire with at spec but ended up plumping for the more traditional.

Bought it with a bit of black Friday discount from the good folks at PMT Bristol and managed to try it against a 2nd hand Sire and a Mexican Fender they had in and the G&L played and sounded better than both especially considering the Fender was about £250 more expensive.

Had an audition for a new band so I took it along with my trusty old yamaha and got the gig and said they'd want me to use the g&l as they loved the look and the tone. 

I dont know how G&L do the tribute series so cheaply but it is an absolutely cracking bass for £400. I'd absolutely recommend one over any equivalent Fenders.20191207_184251.thumb.jpg.ec9907bb35c63cdc21ff31453ac9a92f.jpg

I've got one of these! Hasn't been out of the case in ages though as I put flats on it... I will rectify that. It's a wonderful bass, great neck too - narrow but deep.

• Like 1

On 03/01/2020 at 14:41, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I've got one of these! Hasn't been out of the case in ages though as I put flats on it... I will rectify that. It's a wonderful bass, great neck too - narrow but deep.

So would you say it's deeper than a jazz? In the pic it doesn't look like it tapers as much as a jazz either

I know we all like specific measurement on here but I'd say it's just a very nice neck. It feels like a Jazz neck, Slim but it has some depth to it. It felt a lot nicer to my hands in the shop than a mexican Jazz I tried but it's all pretty personal isn't it!

9 hours ago, sbrag said:

I know we all like specific measurement on here but I'd say it's just a very nice neck. It feels like a Jazz neck, Slim but it has some depth to it. It felt a lot nicer to my hands in the shop than a mexican Jazz I tried but it's all pretty personal isn't it!

Sounds like it could be right up my street then......... Again, not helping with GAS though! I was just wondering what it might be like because no where in London seems to have it in stock and getting to Andertons and back is a 5hr journey. 

I find neck preference a bit if a weird one though. I totally get liking different necks but I love the wide and flat neck of my 4003 as much as my thin and deep epi tbird....... I don't get it 🤔

18 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Sounds like it could be right up my street then......... Again, not helping with GAS though! I was just wondering what it might be like because no where in London seems to have it in stock and getting to Andertons and back is a 5hr journey. 

I find neck preference a bit if a weird one though. I totally get liking different necks but I love the wide and flat neck of my 4003 as much as my thin and deep epi tbird....... I don't get it 🤔

Give PMT a call they have them in stock and got one to Bristol for me which came for another branch. They should be able to get one to the London shop for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonesy said:

There are at least 3 JB 2's hanging on the wall in PMT Romford.....and they'll order in from other branches for you to try. They have a branch near Old St too, you could tube it to there. I tried the sunburst one - sounded great but i didn't like the neck - depth was nice but i can't do jazz width anymore :-)

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/brands/gandl?dir=asc&guitar_number_of_strings=146&order=price&store=6

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, sbrag said:

Give PMT a call they have them in stock and got one to Bristol for me which came for another branch. They should be able to get one to the London shop for you.

14 hours ago, Mudpup said:

There are at least 3 JB 2's hanging on the wall in PMT Romford.....and they'll order in from other branches for you to try. They have a branch near Old St too, you could tube it to there. I tried the sunburst one - sounded great but i didn't like the neck - depth was nice but i can't do jazz width anymore 🙂

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/brands/gandl?dir=asc&guitar_number_of_strings=146&order=price&store=6

All good suggestions and solid plans. However, in a potential search to scratch that Jazz itch I think it might be worth having a go on a Sire as I hear good things about them and they're in the same sort of price bracket. Andertons seems to be the only place that stocks both though so a little day trip might be in order.

To be honest though I'm half hoping that everyone is wrong about Sire's and they're complete dogs to play. That way I don't need to get over the headstock 🤮😂