Why become a member? ×

NBD - Lakland Skyline 55-01

JohnFitzgerald

Just now, chris_b said:

Very good basses. You get a lot for the money. I found my Lakland, my first 35" scale, to be the easiest bass to play.

Certainly great hardware on it and it's very well put together and set up too. 
I'm not really sure what use I have for it at this point, but that will come through time, I'm sure.

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

Very good basses. You get a lot for the money. I found my Lakland, my first 35" scale, to be the easiest bass to play.

My 55-01 was also my first 35'' 5 string bass. Lovely player. I had the pre amp upgraded to a NTMB but never really found the tone i was looking for in that bass. Had it for a few years though and never had any complaints. 

I remember first coming across them in the Bass centre. Never heard of Lakland before that. I played 7 of them, and all were spot on. Hard choice picking one but I went for the cheapest, most boring option...Black.

10 hours ago, JohnFitzgerald said:

I'm not really sure what use I have for it at this point. . . . . . . .

If you are playing bass then you have a use. It's not a 4 or 5 string, it's a bass. Full of notes that will work on every song you want to play.

If you want to incorporate the b string but don’t know ‘where to begin’ I’d suggest taking songs your band play (especially if you’re doing some original material) and take the lowest notes or the patterns and ply them off the B string. So if you’re doing a blues in E use the 5th fret B string as your root. By shifting patterns to the B string especially for D E and B (and the flats and sharps in between of course) it’ll get you using the B sting but not having to learn new patterns for songs you already know. There is a difference in an open e and a fretted E on the B string and a low D played in a 5’er takes on a lot of ‘weight’. 

Just have fun with it and if you can play the 5er exclusively for a few weeks to really get the feel/comfortable for it. It’s a surprisingly quick period of transition!

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, krispn said:

If you want to incorporate the b string but don’t know ‘where to begin’ I’d suggest taking songs your band play (especially if you’re doing some original material) and take the lowest notes or the patterns and ply them off the B string. So if you’re doing a blues in E use the 5th fret B string as your root. By shifting patterns to the B string especially for D E and B (and the flats and sharps in between of course) it’ll get you using the B sting but not having to learn new patterns for songs you already know. There is a difference in an open e and a fretted E on the B string and a low D played in a 5’er takes on a lot of ‘weight’. 

Just have fun with it and if you can play the 5er exclusively for a few weeks to really get the feel/comfortable for it. It’s a surprisingly quick period of transition!

Krispn,

I already have a couple of 6 string basses, so the use of the B string is something I'm already familiar with, but I do appreciate the tips, 100 %
Here are my couple of 6 stringers.

19_bass_5083.jpeg

73497829_2569961313070062_3647846295793565696_n.jpg