Why become a member? ×

How important is theory and reading to you??

JakeBrownBass

I am here to say something I have already said (more than once). The reading thing, for me, is less about getting reading gigs than it is about learning quicker and not having to retain stuff to be able to reproduce it. It is about being able to produce proper, accurate charts for other musicians and about wasting less time at rehearsals (which is more important as you get older and lifes gets more and more complicated). It is about wasting less time trying to learn by rote and studying scores to get the knowledge you are looking for (like the guy I knew who nailed a dep gig by listening to recordings on the way to the gig and writing out charts using his ears only). It is also a great way to explain stuff to students and to put together exercises for developing players at all levels.

You don't do any of this instead of developing your ears; you do it AS WELL AS. In fact, it helps you develop your ears because, if you are reading, you need yours ears to tell you that you are playing the right notes at the right time and in tune, not your eyes to tell you your fingers are geographically in the right place (this is particularly important for fretless players). Readers aren't better than non-readers, they are just better than they probably would be if they couldn't read. If they have bad time, its because they have bad time, not because they can read.

[quote]You don't do any of this instead of developing your ears; you do it AS WELL AS. In fact, it helps you develop your ears because, if you are reading, you need yours ears to tell you that you are playing the right notes at the right time and in tune, not your eyes to tell you your fingers are geographically in the right place (this is particularly important for fretless players). Readers aren't better than non-readers, they are just better than they probably would be if they couldn't read. If they have bad time, its because they have bad time, not because they can read.[/quote]

Exactly what I think, which throws up a lot of constraint on classical players who have been brought up on a diet of non-deviation from the score in front of them. I'm sure if you threw Anthony Jackson a robotic-looking bass sheet, he'd throw in some choice examples of good musical restraint and taste. It's all about the player in front of the music, not the music in front of the player.

• 5 months later...

I've got a pretty good ear, and I'm a decent player. But with this new band I've joined, I REALLY wish I knew much more theory, knew where ALL the notes are on my bass, hear intervals much more quickly, know all my scales in every key using every available part of the neck, reading would also help a lot for my own note taking, etc., etc. ..

Like Bilbo, Jakesbass, and many others have said, it makes communication so much easier and your memory doesn't have to work so hard. It also maximises your playing and rehearsing time. If you have a band leader who makes lots of arrangement changes on the night, or in rehearsal, this stuff is for you.

I used to be a bit of a naysayer, not anymore. I really wish I'd have put the work in a LONG time ago.

[quote name='silddx' post='555659' date='Jul 29 2009, 10:10 PM']I used to be a bit of a naysayer, not anymore. I really wish I'd have put the work in a LONG time ago.[/quote]
Same here.
No excuses, I've just always been very lazy and more than a little intimidated by music theory.
I'm very fired up about learning some theory at the moment, and this is mainly down to the excellent series of lessons that rslaing has been posting the last few weeks.

I've known guitar players who didn't have a clue where they were but had great ears... and I've known guitar players who can read fly-sh*t but can't busk a note...

To be well-rounded and get lots of gigs and especially deps..you have to know and be able to do both pretty well...IMO
If it is a basking gig with just a chord chart pad, then you still have to be able to follow the song and 'read' the pad..
If the drummer doesn't read them it matters less, but any band-leader who plays a horn will have readings pads...and you'll
knock yourself out of those gigs if you can't read...

If you play by ear but can't 'hear' intervals, then you are making it very hard for yourself...

And when the band-leader gives you the key of 3b's then you better be right there at the count-in...

I think it is a good idea to be as educated as you can get...

Well, I have generally found that the theory has been more helpful than reading, at least in a rock band situation. Having a working knowledge of scales, harmony and melody has been far more helpful in band situations than the ability to read, as most band members I've had either don't know how to read, or don't work with notation when writing.

I picked up the double bass at 15, 4 years after picking up the bass, and it was honestly the best thing that I ever did to improve my abilities and knowledge of the role of bass in music. I already knew how to read since learning the violin at a young age but playing double bass really opened up my eyes, until I ultimately got sick of it. Doing all the grades, but more importantly playing in orchestras really helped my basic understanding of theory, playing abilities and timing; nothing prepares you for open E, 98 bar rest, open E! Being a rock guy though, I was fed of classical music after the first year of studying it at uni and I've not played in an orchestra since.

However, the theory has stuck with me subconsciously and I'm glad I did go through with all the grades etc, as it allows you to look at music from different angle and be aware of more interesting harmonies than the minor 3rds and perfect 5ths. At least the ability to read is there when I need it, though it might need a bit of work after 5 years away from it!

That said you have to know how to play as well! I can't count the amount of guitarists I've met that talk a great game and actually know a lot of theory, but have no feeling, timing and can only play in drop d with one fingered chords.

[quote name='RhysP' post='555676' date='Jul 29 2009, 10:24 PM']I'm very fired up about learning some theory at the moment, and this is mainly down to the excellent series of lessons that rslaing has been posting the last few weeks.[/quote]
Those series are superb, mucho thanko to rslaing! And Major minor and Jakesbass.