Why become a member? ×

12" drivers ?

sifi2112

To all you 'experts' ha .. kidding, but a bit of advice is more than welcome ..!

Having gone against previous advice about mixing different speakers in a cab I built myself a 4x10 (shelved cab in half but still all wired series/parallel so basically still 4x10) .. had the speakers so thought what the f... never done it before but am more than pleased except for the weight ..

so thought I might have another go but do a 2x12 (1 on top of other) again a 'sealed' cab .. what speakers to use ? .. been looking at celestions bn300x or something but guess there are a few option ? will be using valve head (when I get it)

thanks in advance guys ..

Simon

ps. got loads of stuff to sell

[quote name='sifi2112' post='387859' date='Jan 21 2009, 06:52 PM']To all you 'experts' ha .. kidding, but a bit of advice is more than welcome ..!

Having gone against previous advice about mixing different speakers in a cab I built myself a 4x10 (shelved cab in half but still all wired series/parallel so basically still 4x10) .. had the speakers so thought what the f... never done it before but am more than pleased except for the weight ..

so thought I might have another go but do a 2x12 (1 on top of other) again a 'sealed' cab .. what speakers to use ? .. been looking at celestions bn300x or something but guess there are a few option ? will be using valve head (when I get it)

thanks in advance guys ..

Simon

ps. got loads of stuff to sell[/quote]

I had a 112 built for me to use at rehearsals only instead of carting the full rig (4x10 & 1x15) and I loved it, even used it at a number of smaller gigs. Best of both worlds for me.
I now want to sell the rig to downsize to a couple of good quality 112's or even 212's possibly Aguilar.

My old 112 had an Eminence beta speaker in it, very warm and very punchy. Don't know too much about the Celestions I'm afraid.

Good luck ;)

If you're set upon using a sealed cab then you need to use woofers with a high Qts. You should be looking at speakers where the EBP (Efficiency Bandwidth Product) is at the most 100 and ideally under 50. To calculate EBP find out Fs and divide it by Qts. I wouldn't recommend using woofers with an Fs much above 60Hz or below 40Hz for a sealed bass cab so you should be aiming at a Qts of between 0.4 and 0.6. If you can't find out the Qts then just try to avoid drivers with big magnets because magnet strength tends to be inversely proportional to Qts.

Alex

Edited by alexclaber

[quote name='alexclaber' post='388248' date='Jan 22 2009, 09:48 AM']If you're set upon using a sealed cab then you need to use woofers with a high Qts. You should be looking at speakers where the EBP (Efficiency Bandwidth Product) is at the most 100 and ideally under 50. To calculate EBP find out Fs and divide it by Qts. I wouldn't recommend using woofers with an Fs much above 60Hz or below 40Hz for a sealed bass cab so you should be aiming at a Qts of between 0.4 and 0.6. If you can't find out the Qts then just try to avoid drivers with big magnets because magnet strength tends to be inversely proportional to Qts.

Alex[/quote]How bout 2 of these Alex ?

I know a guy who recone etc & he recommended these (plus he'll do a good price)

[url="http://www.usspeaker.com/fane%20col%2012mb-1.htm"]http://www.usspeaker.com/fane%20col%2012mb-1.htm[/url]

Stevie .. I can build a sealed cab myself but ported or reflex is too much hassle .. actually am only going to cut-down cab I've already done & probably get flightcaseuk to put a 'finishing' touch on it = cab/flightcase in 1 .. still looking at other cab options but haven't even got my new amp yet !

cheers

Simon

[quote name='sifi2112' post='388391' date='Jan 22 2009, 12:02 PM']How bout 2 of these Alex ?

I know a guy who recone etc & he recommended these (plus he'll do a good price)

[url="http://www.usspeaker.com/fane%20col%2012mb-1.htm"]http://www.usspeaker.com/fane%20col%2012mb-1.htm[/url][/quote]

Qts is far too low for a sealed cab.

Alex

[quote name='sifi2112' post='388391' date='Jan 22 2009, 12:02 PM']Stevie .. I can build a sealed cab myself but ported or reflex is too much hassle .. actually am only going to cut-down cab I've already done & probably get flightcaseuk to put a 'finishing' touch on it = cab/flightcase in 1 .. still looking at other cab options but haven't even got my new amp yet ![/quote]

Simon, you are not going to find a 12-inch speaker suitable for a sealed bass cab, because nobody makes them. Everyone uses ported cabinets nowadays, because they are more efficient and handle more power. Once you have an idea of the internal volume of your box, post it on here and someone will tell you what size of port you need. It's not that hard.

Edited by stevie

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Eminence-Beta-12-250W-12-Mid-Bass-Driver-8-ohm_W0QQitemZ140292857505QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL?hash=item140292857505&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Eminence-Beta-12-250...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

Any good alex?

[quote name='RIM Basses' post='389020' date='Jan 22 2009, 04:06 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Eminence-Beta-12-250W-12-Mid-Bass-Driver-8-ohm_W0QQitemZ140292857505QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL?hash=item140292857505&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Eminence-Beta-12-250...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

Any good alex?[/quote]
Not gosh awful, but not great. You need to be looking at driver spec sheets for an EBP rating of between 50 and 75 for best results. This happens to generally equate with cheaper drivers that more than likely will have other performance issues and limitations. The demand for high quality drivers for sealed cabs is zilch, ergo there are very few to be found.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='389220' date='Jan 23 2009, 01:56 AM']Not gosh awful, but not great. You need to be looking at driver spec sheets for an EBP rating of between 50 and 75 for best results. This happens to generally equate with cheaper drivers that more than likely will have other performance issues and limitations. The demand for high quality drivers for sealed cabs is zilch, ergo there are very few to be found.[/quote]Thanks for all the advice .. but just how does Bergantino do it with his NV series ?
I heard only fab reports/reviews, these are sealed & I don't Mark Bass do a CL range (again sealed) ? .. so do they make their own ?

I'm gonna get a new all valve head (Eden E300T) & want a suitable cab but might just have to 'bite the bullet' & cough up for a 'real' cab ! lol

Any recommendations guys ?

cheers

Simon

[quote name='sifi2112' post='389240' date='Jan 23 2009, 01:49 AM']Thanks for all the advice .. but just how does Bergantino do it with his NV series ?[/quote]
Eminence OEM special makeup drivers that you can't get unless you open a factory and buy them in minimum lots of 50. If there was sufficient demand for a similar product at retail Eminence would offer it, but there isn't, so they don't.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

[quote name='sifi2112' post='389240' date='Jan 23 2009, 06:49 AM']Thanks for all the advice .. but just how does Bergantino do it with his NV series ?
I heard only fab reports/reviews, these are sealed & I don't Mark Bass do a CL range (again sealed) ? .. so do they make their own ?
I'm gonna get a new all valve head (Eden E300T) & want a suitable cab but might just have to 'bite the bullet' & cough up for a 'real' cab ! lol
Simon[/quote]

I'd say "bite the bullet" and or do it properly. If you're going to spend loads of money on an all-valve head, why make such compromises on the speakers. You're "spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar". Why not try some second-hand cabs in the for-sale section.

Balcro.

Thanks guys .. gonna get a proper cab .. got a week off soon so will be checking a few out.
Any recommendations would be great .. Geddy Lee'esk growl on a little steroids ! sort of sound I'm after but not sure whether should do 2x12 or 4x10 ??

cheers

Simon