Why become a member? ×

Flats for rock

lushuk

[quote]Steve Harris puts a fresh set on for every gig...

could you afford to do that???[/quote]

Erm no.... I was thinking more of the leave em on for 15 years option! ;)

Just sometimes that sort of sound may fit, like on the bass solo bit in "alright now" is that played with flats to get that sort of tone?

Edited by lushuk

I adore Steve Harris and more or less learned to play to Maiden records as a spotty youth.
I use TI flats on a late 70s/early 80s Precision in the ridiculous anthemic cock rock band I play in [we dress up as Vikings, that's all you really need to know] and I get an absolutely cracking sound out of them. I fully intend to leave them on for 15 years, no 'arry style nightly change for me.
To get a rock/Harris clunk you have to use the EQ fairly hard, but once you've found the sound you need you can rely on it almost forever because the strings don't change their sound every month like rounds do.
So you might have to work harder to get your sound, but once you've got it it's yours.
Last gig we did I was playing into my own Hartke bass head with the valve being a little bit overdriven and into a borrowed Ampeg cab and I've never had closer to exactly the sound I wanted, it was great.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='386297' date='Jan 20 2009, 03:52 PM']I used to use 'em and they sounded great. The problem I had was to do with sweat, every now and again they'd REALLY grab at my skin after feeling ultra-slick. I had to stop using them. I think 'arry uses talc or similar to stop it happening... not 100% sure though.[/quote]

Fast Fret might be your friend here.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='389631' date='Jan 23 2009, 03:00 PM']For rock I used to use D'Adddario Chromes. Quite a bit brighter than Thomastik and higher tension as well.[/quote]

I started using D'Adddario Chromes over TI flats for the higher tension, then i discovered Ernie ball flats. Usually i am not a big fan of EB strings but the flats are fantastic. They are in the same flavour as chromes but just have a nicer feel, very polished and great balance, in .100-.40 gauge they are great for rock with plenty of brightness

[quote name='lushuk' post='390762' date='Jan 25 2009, 04:45 AM']Well it seems I might give it a try, but which ones and where from anyone got a old cheap set to try? might be the way forward.
Thanks Eddy[/quote]

Eddy , I have a new set of D'addario chromes you can have for a tenner.
[url="http://store.daddario.com/category/145854"]http://store.daddario.com/category/145854[/url]

Marc

Edited by voxpop