Why become a member? ×

wal 1979 pro1e - what's it worth?

dynamo

Hi

Hope you can all help me as I have scoured the web and not found any prices of use.

I have a 1979 wal pro1e which I haven't gigged for years, the guy I bought it off in the 80s wants to buy it back, but I haven't got a clue what it is worth.

it is pb1477, with the original wal brown case. At some point in its life it had a wal custom neck fitted, and it is finished in black. It has only ever been serviced by pete at wal since i have owned it (last time was a couple of years ago), and is in perfect working order. The paintwork is ok, much as you would expect from a hard gigged 30 year old bass.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='385462' date='Jan 19 2009, 09:55 PM']I think it's worth about £1000 as it's a Pro 1e, but that's only my opinion of course... The original case adds value which may put it's worth up, but the market is depressed at the moment, so that all has to be taken into account.[/quote]

thinking about it id like to meet halfway at £1200. despite there being a depressed market, on ebay there will always be a buyer waiting to snap up a Wal bass of any sort, so its an awkard little bass to price.

[quote name='littleal' post='385470' date='Jan 19 2009, 09:59 PM']Do you have any pics?[/quote]

no sorry, not at the moment, only have my phone camera and it doesn't do justice in this light, will try and put some up tomorrow

This might be a decent guide to what was being asked for one last autumn:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30494&hl=wal"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30494&hl=wal[/url]

Bear in mind that the £ would ahve been stronger against the dollar then.

Given the generally depressed state of the £ it would be a good time to sell in mainland Europe or the States ;)

[quote name='dynamo' post='385450' date='Jan 19 2009, 09:46 PM']I remember I paid £250 in 1989 though (was two weeks wages then!)[/quote]

If we say depreciation @£10.00 per year, 20 x £10.00 = £200.00 so if I give you £50.00 for the bass and £20.00 for the case I’ll collect tomorrow? ;)

(worth a try!!!)

Edited by originalfunster

[quote name='josh3184' post='385816' date='Jan 20 2009, 11:08 AM']this man's logic is flawless, give him a prize![/quote]

Give him the Wal. Piccies would be nice.

[quote name='originalfunster' post='386515' date='Jan 20 2009, 06:26 PM']On a serious note, Could the guy you deal with at Wal service not give you a ball park figure of its value?[/quote]

Unfortunately I only ever dealt with Pete so without any contact method to him I can't get access

[quote name='katri' post='392529' date='Jan 27 2009, 11:03 AM']probably worth about a tenner or so..... ill give ya £100 and some pork scratchings.

seriously though, its worth well over a grand IMO probably about £1400-£1500[/quote]

damn, I am a sucker for pork scratchings!