Why become a member? ×

Stereo amplifier

ped

Hi guys,

Sort of looking for a stereo setup for lowish volume practice and gigging (will use IEMs for anything large so the amp needn't be very loud).

I used to really like Hartke gear, so was thinking two 210xl cabinets would suffice. What head should I get though? Coming from my Vbass I will have two 1/4" outputs, left and right. I looked at the LH series amplifiers but don't think they would work, the Kilo looks like it would but possibly overkill... Is/was there a stereo version of the 3500? Used to love that thing. Maybe I should buy two??

I never really was that into amplifiers so need some pointers. Think I am settled on the 210XL cabs (they are the ideal weight/vol for me) so need some head pointers...

Two 1/4" jacks, two speakers... fill the gap!

Budget? Not sure really, maybe up to £400 for a head, less if possible. I also considered two combos but think that would be an expensive option...

Cheers
ped

[quote name='Tinman' post='385243' date='Jan 19 2009, 06:41 PM']I'm thinking along the lines of a stereo power amp (using the V bass as a pre). You would have to fit XLR connectors to the amp end of your leads but I reckon that would work. ;)[/quote]

That sounds like a winner. The Vbass has XLR outputs too so could use those. Do you know of a semi decent power amp?

Kiwi I looked at active monitors but their performance at low volume is quite variable and they can be expensive for a decent active set...

Cheers
ped

[quote name='Tinman' post='385243' date='Jan 19 2009, 06:41 PM']I'm thinking along the lines of a stereo power amp (using the V bass as a pre). You would have to fit XLR connectors to the amp end of your leads but I reckon that would work. ;)[/quote]

Perfect answer.

What's your budget, ped? You can pick up stereo power amps for very little these days.

[quote name='ped' post='385418' date='Jan 19 2009, 09:17 PM']That sounds like a winner. The Vbass has XLR outputs too so could use those. Do you know of a semi decent power amp?

Kiwi I looked at active monitors but their performance at low volume is quite variable and they can be expensive for a decent active set...

Cheers
ped[/quote]
Jeez, where do I start ;) Depends on output requirements really. I know people slate them but for your but Behringer do some fairly decent ones (my band uses them for PA and have had no problems with them) There are loads of others and GAK are doing them at decent prices.

[quote name='ped' post='385418' date='Jan 19 2009, 09:17 PM']Kiwi I looked at active monitors but their performance at low volume is quite variable and they can be expensive for a decent active set...[/quote]
My yammie HS50s are good and people speak highly of Tannoy too. I'm sure they'll be flatter in response at low volumes than a pair of Hartke cabs and a cheap stereo power amp! You'll be able to lift a pair of studio monitors without screwing your back up too!

[quote name='ped' post='385198' date='Jan 19 2009, 05:49 PM']Hi guys,

Sort of looking for a stereo setup for lowish volume practice and gigging (will use IEMs for anything large so the amp needn't be very loud).

I used to really like Hartke gear, so was thinking two 210xl cabinets would suffice. What head should I get though? Coming from my Vbass I will have two 1/4" outputs, left and right. I looked at the LH series amplifiers but don't think they would work, the Kilo looks like it would but possibly overkill... Is/was there a stereo version of the 3500? Used to love that thing. Maybe I should buy two??

I never really was that into amplifiers so need some pointers. Think I am settled on the 210XL cabs (they are the ideal weight/vol for me) so need some head pointers...

Two 1/4" jacks, two speakers... fill the gap!

Budget? Not sure really, maybe up to £400 for a head, less if possible. I also considered two combos but think that would be an expensive option...

Cheers
ped[/quote]

The Hartke HA7000 is really two HA3500's in one amp i.e. 350 watts output each poweramp into 4 ohms.
Don't know if this would suit your need for 'stereo' setup though, and a bit on the heavy side too.

Just been poking around on eBay and saw these... really cheap and look OK on paper (remember the system needn't be that loud or sound AMAZING because I will be using IEMs too) but wondered if they would be any good with bass....

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACTIVE-PA-DJ-SPEAKER-KARAOKE-BAND-AMP-SYSTEM-600-WATT_W0QQitemZ220322101069QQihZ012QQcategoryZ69967QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACTIVE-PA-DJ-SPEAKER...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Cheers
ped