Why become a member? ×

Virtual Insanity Bass Sound

Sean

I've been asked to learn Virtual Insanity and it's proving to be a nightmare, I just can't hear what he's doing despite having an accurate transription and having watched a few well meaning souls covering it on You Tube.

I know SZ used an old Boss multi-effects unit (I posted a link to a NOS one for sale a few months back) but what effect/s is he using on that song? I have a Zoom B2.1u and just can't get anything similar out of it?

Are SZ's bass lines altered a lot after initial recording?

Any help with this much appreciated.

Ta

Sean

[quote name='Sean' post='382295' date='Jan 16 2009, 12:49 PM']I've been asked to learn Virtual Insanity and it's proving to be a nightmare, I just can't hear what he's doing despite having an accurate transription and having watched a few well meaning souls covering it on You Tube.

I know SZ used an old Boss multi-effects unit (I posted a link to a NOS one for sale a few months back) but what effect/s is he using on that song? I have a Zoom B2.1u and just can't get anything similar out of it?

Ta

Sean[/quote]

I'm pretty sure the bass is also doubled with a synth keyboard part.

[quote name='Sean' post='382295' date='Jan 16 2009, 12:49 PM']I've been asked to learn Virtual Insanity and it's proving to be a nightmare, I just can't hear what he's doing despite having an accurate transription and having watched a few well meaning souls covering it on You Tube.

Ta

Sean[/quote]

MB1. ;)
The BOSS ME 8B is the pedal he used on some earlier Jamiroquai recordings.

[quote name='lateralus462' post='382695' date='Jan 16 2009, 05:54 PM']Except Zender didn't play on this tune[/quote]

Pretty sure he did.

Unless your just getting confused with the album version of Space Cowboy which was recorded by some guy called Mr. X.

[quote name='lateralus462' post='382856' date='Jan 16 2009, 10:27 PM']My bad - I assumed cos this appeared on the Synkronized album he hadn't played on it - but this was recorded before the other tracks.

and I swear this post was about deeper underground earlier ;)[/quote]

:P

I've never heard any of the albums after Zender left. Heard the singles obviously but nothing else. How was it?

I always figured Toby Smith was the important one, and when he left it would go tits up.

Virtual Insanity is on Travelling Without Moving, which was Zender's last album. He 150 million% played on this track, you can hear it by his style!

It's just clean bass, with loads of compression. This album was very "produced".

• 3 weeks later...

There's no doubling with the synth on Virtual Insanity, and there's no effect, just a lot of compression which sort of became Zender's hallmark. It's a really great bass part, and the breakdown in the middle sort of sums up Zender's feel for me at that time. Very unique.

I think you might be getting confused with Deeper Underground... the background to that track is that Zender DID record a part for it (and for quite a bit of Synkronized), but after he left the band, his parts got scrapped by the ever increasingly difficult frontman that is Jay Kay. Deeper Underground was completely synth-bass, I'll assume put down by Toby Smith just before he also left. Likewise, Canned Heat, Plannet Home.... synth bass again.

EDIT - the only tunes that Zender did not play on the first three albums was 'When You Gonna Learn' (Andrew Levy from the Brand New Heavies played on) and the ALBUM version of Space Cowboy, who as mentioned before, was by a guy known as Mr. X. Stuart mentioned that he was left pretty sore after Jay Kay got another bassist in to play, and remains a bone of contention I would guess. He did play on the SINGLE version.

/Zender nerd-ery

Edited by liamcapleton