Why become a member? ×

Why???

Deep Thought

Is there a good reason for only using a manufacturer's own AC power supply with an appliance? Apart from, as I suspect, that they don't want you to buy somebody else's? I've just got a new stompbox tuner (Ibanez LU20-wanted a Korg Pitchblack but couldn't seem to get one until February-local shop had this, so decided to give it a go-not had a chance to use it yet). Instructions say you should only use an Ibanez 9volt AC supply. Why?

Edited by Deep Thought

I guess its the only way to guarantee someone won't try to put the wrong voltage/polarity/current into their stompbox. I prefer to use the multi ones you can get in maplins with a load of different sized plugs and phase reversal if you need it, much more flexible for powering a multitude of different appliances

There are lots of options for powering pedals. What you need to know is the polarity and the voltage. Most pedals have the DC input marked with a symbol that tells you what this is, but some dont so the only way you can be sure is to get their supply. That is usually marked so once you have that, if you have enough pedals to justify it, you can get a power supply to do the lot.

It does pay to get a proper regulated guitar jobby though. I was getting uncontrollable noise from an EBS pedal and thought it was broken. I used it with a few generic adapters (correct voltage, polarity etc.) and it wasn't until i tested it with a dedicated Ibanez power supply that it worked. The generic adapters were fine with my other pedals too. The only difference AFAIK is that the Ibanez one was regulated

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='380824' date='Jan 14 2009, 10:59 PM']I guess its the only way to guarantee someone won't try to put the wrong voltage/polarity/current into their stompbox. I prefer to use the multi ones you can get in maplins with a load of different sized plugs and phase reversal if you need it, much more flexible for powering a multitude of different appliances[/quote]

I find the regulation on those is dicey to say the least... and the ripple current leaves a lot to be desired... big source of mains hum if the pedal manufacturer hasn't taken it into account and has expected a good quality power supply to be used...

I'm a bit confused on the legal side though... I thought it was an EU regulation that all supply sockets on equipment had to be marked with a symbol giving the supply requirements including polarity and voltage. Boss ones just seem to get away with marking them with their own proprietary power supply id..

If i may add to the rant.. ;o)

Why, oh why do manufacturers spend all that money on producing a great piece of gear that is designed to withstand being dropped, kicked, sunk and generally abused, then give it a wall wart power supply with wires that are so weedy, they wont last five minutes! Crayzzeeee!!!

It's just to cover their backs. Your house goes up in smoke and you weren't using the recommended power supply? Well, [i]there's your problem![/i]

I use my PSP's power supply to charge my Tascam bass trainer - same voltage, same polarity, same plug.