Why become a member? ×

Guild B301

Monz

I have a late 70's Black Guild B301 all original with a few marks but nothing serious the only thing is it has had its frets ground to effectivley make it a lined fretless.

I have tried and tried to get used to 4 strings purely because of this bass, it sounds beautiful but I just get muddled when I get back on my 5 string so I need a 5 string fretless.

Does anyone have any idea if this bass has any value or would it be better to try and trade it for a 5 string with some cash?

Any ideas or comments welcome

Edited by Monz

Just seen this B302 on ebay

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Guild-B302-70s-American-Classic-Bass-Guitar_W0QQitemZ180320469109QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item180320469109&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Guild-B302-70s-Ameri...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

Don't know if that helps at all.

Think the Guild 301 series basses were mid 70's. They did a few versions, some with DiMarzio pickup options,and were often rather heavy beasts.
Quality USA build though, and bordering on quirky/collectable now perhaps.
I seem to remember they did a half fretted/half fretless version too! IIRC the lower part of the neck was fretted, with the upper section fretless for those moose-like moments! Needless to say they did n't catch on, and subsequently a rare beast.
Shame yours is defretted, which unfortunately will reduce it's value, but you should still geta a fair price for it.
Good luck .

I've looked up the serial number and it's a 76

Besides it will be in the hands of it's new owner this weekend... sad to see it go but on the up side I'm a little closer to getting my Bongo 5 HH (was gonna go for a fretless 5 but the pull of the bongo is just too strong for my weak will to resist)

Well I'm the new proud owner of the Guild B-301
I'm really pleased with it, great condition for a 33yr old bass

I had a B-301 when I was 20 and should never have let it go and I have yearned for one
for ages, but most that come along are either battered or fretless. At least this was fretted
at one point and will be again soon !

It will be off this week for a re-fret and then out on regular gig duty along side my Ric 4003
They are going to look great together.

Chuffed to bits ;) , Cheers Glyn