Why become a member? ×

Pandora Alternatives

mcgraham

Hi all

I've been using a Korg Pandora for many years now, and whilst I love it, it's noise gate is starting to grate on me. Even on maximum possible volume I can't get the full dynamics I want from this device, i.e. when the level is too low it doesn't give produce sound. Also has nasty hiss that gets let through whenever the noise gate goes on and off, although that could be the instrument.

As such I'm looking to some other alternatives that DON'T do this, that allow portable practice with at least a metronome and a headphone out. Something that will fit in a gig bag ideally and run off batteries. First thought is a Pocketpod, but I don't know if it has a metronome feature. Anything else that anyone can recommend?

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='377479' date='Jan 12 2009, 11:08 AM']Hi all

I've been using a Korg Pandora for many years now, and whilst I love it, it's noise gate is starting to grate on me. Even on maximum possible volume I can't get the full dynamics I want from this device, i.e. when the level is too low it doesn't give produce sound. Also has nasty hiss that gets let through whenever the noise gate goes on and off, although that could be the instrument.

As such I'm looking to some other alternatives that DON'T do this, that allow portable practice with at least a metronome and a headphone out. Something that will fit in a gig bag ideally and run off batteries. First thought is a Pocketpod, but I don't know if it has a metronome feature. Anything else that anyone can recommend?

Mark[/quote]
I have a Pandora, and I have never noticed a hiss, so they may have improved over the years. It might be worth checking out a newer one. Also, although you have had it for a number of years, can you check that the input level is correctly set for passive or active - that could affect the hiss and also the output level.

I tend to use mine without effects other than reverb, and I use the built-in drum patterns a lot. As far as I know, the noise gate is switched off. Incidentally, switching the noise gate on will reduce your dynamic range, but that may be a compromise you have already accepted.

A couple of other things worth checking - does it also hiss when connected to another bass, and does it hiss when connected to other headphones. If your headphones are loud on top, and lacking in bass, they might make the problem worse.

With regard to the alternatives, the message I am getting is that if it is pocket sized, it will use components that draw less current, but the downside is that they will hiss more. A couple of possibilities spring to mind - A S/H Zoom 708 will cost about £30, and would fit in a large gigbag pocket, and running from AAs rather than a 9v block, it is probably takes more currrent and so would be quieter. At the other extreme, the Tascam GT R1 is a combined guitar/bass trainer and stereo recorder, so you can use it as a practice aid, record yourself as you practice, and also record rehearsals. It retails about £230

Edited by Mottlefeeder

[quote]I have a Pandora, and I have never noticed a hiss, so they may have improved over the years. It might be worth checking out a newer one. Also, although you have had it for a number of years, can you check that the input level is correctly set for passive or active - that could affect the hiss and also the output level.[/quote]

I've got the PX4D. I've got the switch on the side for low and high input, I set mine to high. The problem is even worse on guitar. I can't activate/deactivate the noise gate, it appears to just be a standard setting. It also sounds bad through an amp. Really noticeable.

I too only use it for simple sounds. Literally just so I can hear myself played clean through headphones. But I can't think what else to do about this. I'd like to try the PX5 to see if that solves the problem.

You sure you've never encountered this?

Mark

Ugh. I think I may be about the dumbest person on Earth at this very second, followed immediately by being the most enlightened person the second after.

When editing each patch, after all the 'Cab' 'Amp' etc settings there is an unlabelled one called 'NR' that "never seems to do anything". It suddenly dawned on me that this refers to Noise Reduction and it might be responsible for the issue that I never noticed when I first got the device, only after years of fiddling. The Pandora manual also says that you need to adjust this for your instrument or your sound may be cut off prematurely...

At least I may have a way to fix this issue now...

Mark

I use an old 'red' pandora that I got cheap off eBay years ago and I really like it (much prefer it to the new version, which I also have). I take it along to shops to check out basses with one of those tiny, clip on ipod shuffles loaded up with my favourite 'play-along' songs attached. A handy little set up!

Anyway, looks like you're sorted now.