Why become a member? ×

Thinking of new amp......

Bassmurf

Alright peeps, have had some good news this morning and have found out that I am soon coming into some money (aren't life assurances great..especially forgotten ones!) so am thinking of upgrading my amp setup.

I currently am using my geddy lee jazz through an Ashdown Mag combo and cab and the style of music I play is rock and metal, I will have about £700-800 to spend and have been looking at everything from Ampeg to SWR but having only owned 2 proper amps in my life I'm not particularly knowledgeable on amps, so any suggestions would be really helpful.

Cheers

Dan

If you have the time, I'd recomend going into london to give the bass gallery a visit. they're always helpful, and will let you play with whatever equipment you wish. Of course though, you'd get more bang for your buck buying second hand from here, but at least that might give you an idea as to your various options.

[quote name='Zach' post='376061' date='Jan 10 2009, 12:29 PM']If you have the time, I'd recomend going into london to give the bass gallery a visit. they're always helpful, and will let you play with whatever equipment you wish. Of course though, you'd get more bang for your buck buying second hand from here, but at least that might give you an idea as to your various options.[/quote]

+1 to that

If you gig a lot I would certainly look at the lightweight Mark Bass heads combined with a lightweight 15" cab and still have change from your £700.00

Checkout the lightweight GK MB2-500... Lighter than the Markbass and sounds much more 'rawk'. It has a footswitchable overdrive that's supposed to sound great... but they are having a few issues with the early models (RF interference, thermal shutdowns when played for too long!), so I'd wait until they sort those out then it'll be one sweet amp. There's also the Ashdown Little Giants that are just out if you can stand the paintjobs, and if you like the basic Ashdown tone then checkout the ABM 500 heads, they turn up cheap second hand!

[quote name='Zach' post='376416' date='Jan 10 2009, 08:13 PM']Another thought, but are you intending to sell the current MAG combo? Since that would boost your funds up to a grand or so, which would make the rig that big sweeter and lighter.[/quote]
whats the obsession with all gear having to be really light nowadays ;<

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='376072' date='Jan 10 2009, 12:41 PM']Sorry is the budget £7-800 including the Ashdown or plus the Ashdown? If its including the Ashdown I dont really see it as an improvement as your Mag rig is £600 from the Gallery.[/quote]

Yeah am hoping to move on the ashdown rig!

I have always had a soft spot for Acoustic having owned an early Bass / Guitar 120 head years ago that I should never of sold.
Their design has never changed over the years and has a air of timeless class about it in a world of garish colors and gimmicks.
Alas I don't think anyone imports the higher end gear unless someone knows otherwise ?

[attachment=18478:567382.jpg]

$399.00 for the whole rig.

[attachment=18479:576808.jpg]

$499.00 for 600 watts !

Cool or what ! [url="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?N=100001+203736&Ntk=All&Ntt=bass+amp&Nty=1"]Full info here[/url]

And if you don't have a bad back.......

[attachment=18480:576811.jpg]

Edited by Prosebass

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='376526' date='Jan 10 2009, 11:43 PM']There's a lot of old farts with bad backs playing bass these days![/quote]

+5

I may well get flamed for this and it is just 'my' opinion but I still regard the tone from some of the uber-lightweight amps (digi/switching types) and cabs (neo) to be lacking in a solid tone; so my bit of advice FWIW is, if possible try some of the lightweight gear out with your band before parting with your cash. I'm not saying it will be the same for everyone in every situation but in my set-up of a 3 piece (acoustic) rock covers band, the combination of reasonably lightweight Thunderfunk amp and trad magnet Aggie DB12's is the tone I've been missing for a few years while I dabbled with various amps and cabs to get light weight.