Why become a member? ×

Frustration With String fittings

Murph_Orpheus

Right, I have a Warwick $$ and Spector Euro 5 and I've found that certain strings dont work out for them. On both basses, where the strings rest on the bridge theres a narrow gap for each one, and I bought a set of Elixir strings recently for my Spector but found that the width of the string at the base of it wouldnt fit in on the bridge where the string rests. The only ones I've found so far that are narrow enough at the base are Warwick Black Labels. Also this only seems to happen with the thicker strings like the low B. Is there anything I should be looking out for when buying strings or is it just trial and error? :)

Warwick strings are designed to fit Warwick basses so will go over the bridge the best

When I had my Thumb NT5, I bought a set of 4 string Elites and a tapered low B separately from the Bass Centre.

rotosound also do a taper core string where only the core of the string touches the bridge - PSD I think they call them. JPJ used to use them.

The big problem I had was the actual part just past the ball end fitting into the groove on the tailpiece as regular strings can be too large to fit through there.

The string also needs to taper quickly after the nut so as not to snap when the thick part goes round the tuning post as I discovered and did.

Over on the Warwick forum I've discovered 4 options:

Buy strings with a tapered low B

File the slot in the saddle so standard strings will fit

Crimp the ends of the strings to allow them to pass through

Buy a new tailpiece that allows you use standard non-tapered strings

I think I would prefer the first option.If you plan on keeping your Corvette for a while or even plan on changing to another 5 string Warwick, I would probably choose the last one as you can take it from bass to bass

I'm surprised Warwickhunt hasn't been here yet as he's owned most models as well as spectors

Edited by Delberthot

• 10 months later...

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='659125' date='Nov 19 2009, 12:44 PM']i cant stand taperwound B strings!!!

They just suck!!!

the "advantages" to Taperwound strings and stringing a bass through the body are two things i will never understand!!![/quote]

Whats the problem with them? ONce they are on, I notice very little difference.