Why become a member? ×

Beginner Forum

AM1

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='374071' date='Jan 8 2009, 02:17 PM']* Lots of questions get posed in 'General Discussion', which exposes them to the 'discursive' nature of that place. This means that the questioner may get an avalanche of seemingly 'irrelevant' answers, which, while fun for everyone else, may not necessarily help. ...

* Technique (a bit of a wallflower?) could perhaps do with a sticky on 'Beginning bass playing', which also links to a 'Beginner Wiki'...

* I don't see much flaming of supposedly 'stupid' questions. Where it's occurred, it's usually been jumped on, either by mods or other members. OTOH, I've seen lots of really helpful responses and offers of assistance. ...

* To take a median approach, may I propose an expanded Wiki for beginners, which is [i]very[/i] clearly signposted, to accommodate both lurkers and sign-ups.

* We could first research beginners' needs (some of us will have forgotten what it's like, so we should go to the source and ask them) in order to develop an approach to handling beginners. This could also generate a list of 'beginner topics' for an expanded Wiki, to which members could offer contributions, these to be subject to sub-editing by the mods.[/quote]

when i ask questions, i like it when people go off talking about other things, i then look the other things up or ask about them, and not only do i learn what i asked about, but i learn about other things too. i always find any questions get asked, and i think discouraging a "discursive" nature in the general discussion section will ruin the community spirit we have in basschat.

i think a wiki aimed at beginners wouldnt work, if im honest. we havent got enough information on the wiki atm IMHO. and why cant we add anything aimed at beginners into the normal wiki? i bet a fair few people wouldnt read the beginners wiki, thinking it wouldnt hold anything of value to them (i also think the same about a beginners forum).

and i dont see any flaming of people for asking stupid questions. ive asked a fair share of stupid questions in my time, and the closest to being flamed ive ever recieved is "why not google it before asking on here?" which was fair enough tbh, when i googled what i was asking i got the answer straight away. it couldve been put more nicely, but the replier made a point, and now i do google stuff before posting on here.

i'm not sure if there is one, but i think there should be a forum or a sticky in the techniques section or something about available books, and maybe a sub forum or a begginers section of the sticky outlining books available for beginners. i also think maybe a sticky in the techniques section for beginners is a good idea, but i think its a bad idea to split beginners and more experienced players.

i cant see why a beginner would want to identify another beginner on basschat, i cant see what use comes of that? we were all beginners once and most of us can remember what that was like. and why would you ask advice from other beginners? it makes more sense to read what more experienced players are saying, ask more experienced players and just try to surround yourself by more experienced players. you will progress much further that way.

another thought, maybe a quick questions forum? i dont like the idea of a beginners forum, i feel itd split up the community and stop players going into that section. that way more experienced players can also use that forum to ask quick questions. and beginners will feel less embarresed asking simple questions because thats the idea of the forum. and youd simply answer the question, no going off topic or anything. someone asks a question, it gets answered, thread over. if you want to start a discussion on the subject, go to general discussion.

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='374220' date='Jan 8 2009, 04:56 PM']when i ask questions, i like it when people go off talking about other things, i then look the other things up or ask about them, and not only do i learn what i asked about, but i learn about other things too. i always find any questions get asked, and i think discouraging a "discursive" nature in the general discussion section will ruin the community spirit we have in basschat.[/quote]

Exactly!

Alex

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='374220' date='Jan 8 2009, 04:56 PM']when i ask questions, i like it when people go off talking about other things, i then look the other things up or ask about them, and not only do i learn what i asked about, but i learn about other things too. i always find any questions get asked, and i think discouraging a "discursive" nature in the general discussion section will ruin the community spirit we have in basschat.[/quote]

The community spirit for whom? As a complete beginner, what contribution or engagement can I have with technical subject matter, i.e. ampage? Absolutely none and right at this point in time, it is not relevant or helpful to me as a player anyway. I am detail oriented and focussed therefore sometimes I don't want a tangential debate, I want to ask a question and get a variety of perspectives on that specific subject matter.

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='374220' date='Jan 8 2009, 04:56 PM']i think a wiki aimed at beginners wouldnt work, if im honest. we havent got enough information on the wiki atm IMHO. and why cant we add anything aimed at beginners into the normal wiki? i bet a fair few people wouldnt read the beginners wiki, thinking it wouldnt hold anything of value to them (i also think the same about a beginners forum).[/quote]

This is quite dismissive - a wiki or a section for beginners would be a brilliant resource. It was the first thing I looked for here.

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='374220' date='Jan 8 2009, 04:56 PM']i'm not sure if there is one, but i think there should be a forum or a sticky in the techniques section or something about available books, and maybe a sub forum or a begginers section of the sticky outlining books available for beginners. i also think maybe a sticky in the techniques section for beginners is a good idea, but i think its a bad idea to split beginners and more experienced players.[/quote]

There are no better people to be writing reviews on beginners books, than beginners themselves. I went to a music shop recently and had a look at the vast array of books for beginner bass players. There are multitudes of "become a maestro quick" books but it is very difficult to decide which ones will get you where you want to go. Everyone has different goals when they pick up an instrument.

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='374220' date='Jan 8 2009, 04:56 PM']i cant see why a beginner would want to identify another beginner on basschat, i cant see what use comes of that? we were all beginners once and most of us can remember what that was like. and why would you ask advice from other beginners? it makes more sense to read what more experienced players are saying, ask more experienced players and just try to surround yourself by more experienced players. you will progress much further that way.[/quote]

I identified another beginner (a much more advanced beginner though!) on here not long ago and we now talk every single day, comparing notes on practice techniques, progress, different tunes to learn etc. This has proved invaluable to me in terms of motivation, support/encouragement when sometimes it's not coming together, advice about various beginner resources and an avenue to direct my many questions. Otherwise I was doing a few people's heads in with constant emails and texts asking basic questions. Furthermore, I would like to think I have given something back, by explaining that I have had a few lessons and what I was taught and encouraging that person to try a few "evaluation" lessons in order to direct progress going forward.

The forum doesn't have to be called "beginner" if that offends people's political sensitivities. A place of learning for all, but may be particularly useful to those new to the bass, will do.

Regards

AM

[quote name='AM1' post='374254' date='Jan 8 2009, 05:26 PM']The community spirit for whom? As a complete beginner, what contribution or engagement can I have with technical subject matter, i.e. ampage? Absolutely none and right at this point in time, it is not relevant or helpful to me as a player anyway. I am detail oriented and focussed therefore sometimes I don't want a tangential debate, I want to ask a question and get a variety of perspectives on that specific subject matter.[/quote]

i agree, and thats where my second post comes in. its the term "beginners" i dont like, as a lot of information that is useful to beginners could also be useful to experienced players, and could also discourage experienced players from reading/posting on that forum.

[quote name='AM1' post='374254' date='Jan 8 2009, 05:26 PM']This is quite dismissive - a wiki or a section for beginners would be a brilliant resource. It was the first thing I looked for here.[/quote]

again, why just make it for beginners? if we fill in the wiki all round, useful for everyone, beginners can choose what they want as they advance. how advanced do you have to be to stop being a beginner anyway?

[quote name='AM1' post='374254' date='Jan 8 2009, 05:26 PM']There are no better people to be writing reviews on beginners books, than beginners themselves. I went to a music shop recently and had a look at the vast array of books for beginner bass players. There are multitudes of "become a maestro quick" books but it is very difficult to decide which ones will get you where you want to go. Everyone has different goals when they pick up an instrument.[/quote]

true, but we were all beginners once. if you asked experienced players they could reccomend books that they found useful, you just get a wider range of people to answer your questions. thats why a sticky on books for beginners seems a good ideaa to me, anyone - beginners or experienced players - can post on it without feeling slightly unwanted. i know id feel unwanted on a beginners forum because im not a beginner. another reason i dislike the term "beginners forum"

[quote name='AM1' post='374254' date='Jan 8 2009, 05:26 PM']I identified another beginner (a much more advanced beginner though!) on here not long ago and we now talk every single day, comparing notes on practice techniques, progress, different tunes to learn etc. This has proved invaluable to me in terms of motivation, support/encouragement when sometimes it's not coming together, advice about various beginner resources and an avenue to direct my many questions. Otherwise I was doing a few people's heads in with constant emails and texts asking basic questions. Furthermore, I would like to think I have given something back, by explaining that I have had a few lessons and what I was taught and encouraging that person to try a few "evaluation" lessons in order to direct progress going forward.[/quote]

why not say all this in a thread? you complain you cant contribute much but your practice techniques and stuff are important things, and a lot of beginners would find this useful. why not go onto the techniques section and put up a thread about practice techniques? then experienced players and beginners alike can help each other with practice techniques they used as a beginner.

[quote name='AM1' post='374254' date='Jan 8 2009, 05:26 PM']The forum doesn't have to be called "beginner" if that offends people's political sensitivities. A place of learning for all, but may be particularly useful to those new to the bass, will do.[/quote]

but whats the need for a different forum? we have places of learning, to me the whole of basschat is a place of learning, with seperate sections to help. you need to learn about gear? go to the gear section. theorey? technique? theres a section for those, too. i dont see the need for a "place of learning" on basschat.

I think it's a great idea.

That Wiki...I was advised to stick all my lessons up there, but it's a bit hard to understand, and no-one would give me any advice on it.

I've seen some great musical snobbery on this forum (most likely from people that don't have the right or accolades to be snobs :).

My thoughts are on confidence. I've noticed many questions ignored. I've noticed many people made to look like they are "wasting peoples time" when asking questions as well. On a whole, this is a good forum and people are friendly and willing to help. But one act of arrogance and snobbery of one person alone can knock someones confidence enough for them to not bother with the instrument.

Those people that see fit to stick their noses up wouldn't bother visiting a beginners forum, would they? It would keep those that would sincerely like to help beginners in one central place. Those people that are annoyed by questions, don't need to be anywhere near that part. I've had plenty of mails from people, asking me questions because they are a little un-confident to post, or they "don't want to look stupid". I think that a beginners forum would become a great resource where they could all bounce ideas and learning off of each other.

Those that feel a little more confident in their ability could still visit the rest of the forums, and happily gain information like they were before.

Think of it as a nest, before they move on...

[quote name='Dmanlamius' post='374268' date='Jan 8 2009, 05:48 PM']I think it's a great idea.

That Wiki...I was advised to stick all my lessons up there, but it's a bit hard to understand, and no-one would give me any advice on it.

I've seen some great musical snobbery on this forum (most likely from people that don't have the right or accolades to be snobs :).

My thoughts are on confidence. I've noticed many questions ignored. I've noticed many people made to look like they are "wasting peoples time" when asking questions as well. On a whole, this is a good forum and people are friendly and willing to help. But one act of arrogance and snobbery of one person alone can knock someones confidence enough for them to not bother with the instrument.

Those people that see fit to stick their noses up wouldn't bother visiting a beginners forum, would they? It would keep those that would sincerely like to help beginners in one central place. Those people that are annoyed by questions, don't need to be anywhere near that part. I've had plenty of mails from people, asking me questions because they are a little un-confident to post, or they "don't want to look stupid". I think that a beginners forum would become a great resource where they could all bounce ideas and learning off of each other.

Those that feel a little more confident in their ability could still visit the rest of the forums, and happily gain information like they were before.

Think of it as a nest, before they move on...[/quote]

Agree wholeheartedly.

Well said that man!!!!!

[quote name='AM1' post='374042' date='Jan 8 2009, 01:56 PM']Wasting hours searching through forums isn't conducive to progressing as a player, that's wasted practice time.[/quote]
The best practice I ever had was Needle and turntable,and a lot of listening.....Books gave me f***all,save info on equipment,but most of my education was at the speaker,and watching bands/Tv...Sounds of the 60s esp. Any OGWT stuff,just watching 'WHATS that guy doing'.

A beginners forum,or section would be a great idea.

+1 on the beginners section.I would bet that 95% of active members including the more advanced people would check it out and contribute on a very regular basis.
Links to online pages,lessons,gear tips would be great,study pieces,backing tracks etc etc etc.
A wiki's all well and good but a beginners section with 3 or 4 sub headings would be an asset to the site. :)

I'm not keen on having a separate 'beginner' section, because I'd like beginners to be included with the rest of us (I've been a beginner for at least 10 years now :) ).

How about a self-rating system like you have on Musofinder.co.uk? You can rate your own playing from 'beginner' to 'pro'. I suppose if you really feel the need, you can set up a filter per-individual which doesn't show any posts from beginners - would be a feature to be used by those who don't like the same basic questions being asked repeatedly? (not me btw).

I have been playing for 25 years and I am totally rubbish. I would probably gravitate to a beginners forum in an attempt to be a big fish in a little pond. I would then probably get ostracised for my horribly condescending tone. Then, forced back into the wider reaches of BassChat I would be discovered as a sham when it becomes apparent that I buy amps according to the colour of the "on" light and that I have no concept of "jazz". (silent J?)

Paul.

I think this is a great thread, we were all once starting at the beginning.

I have been playing since 1985 with a 10 year gap. I first bought an Ibanez copy of a Fender Precision and I played it through my stereo. :) BANG!

I was on my own in my bedroom trying to play along to the records in my collection, sometimes with a little success but most of the time with frustration but I knew that for me, playing in my bedroom was not enough, so I cautiously asked around friends to see if they knew about others who played instruments and eventually I found people around my age (19) and somehow got to play with them.
They seemed very cool and worldly wise to being in a band, as some of them had been playing for a few years and I had only been playing for a few weeks.
I joined the band only because the bassist was going to Uni and I had a bass and they knew me.
This was the most exciting time of my life, I was so nervous at our first rehearsal because this band had original material and I had some how blagged my way in.
We played and I was amazing, lies, I was totally crap but the rest of the band were not much better, we were all still beginners and we wanted to have fun, so we rehearsed again and it got a little better.
Eventually we became ok but spilt up because we all wanted to play different kinds of music.

I suppose what I'm trying to put across is that music is a beautiful form of communication and as such when we start out playing our chosen instrument, we should communicate with each other.
Before the internet you had to actually physically meet other people to talk to them, so as to find answers for your questions.
Post internet is a much better place, you potentially have so much wisdom at your finger tips, you just have to ask.
To all beginners on Basschat don't be shy. It's a taken that there are people who post on here that have very little interest in bass guitars or music and troll about looking for confrontation but generally we are a sound bunch and I will always try to help a beginner or anybody else for that matter.
Spank your planks people.
Steve.

I agree - I'm personally not in favour of limiting 'discursion' :) But I know that some beginner posters prefer less tangential debate, which is understandable. If their questions were concisely answered in a wiki, it would keep them happy elsewhere, while allowing diverse General Discussion to flower and bloom.

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='374220' date='Jan 8 2009, 04:56 PM']i think a wiki aimed at beginners wouldnt work, if im honest. we havent got enough information on the wiki atm IMHO. and why cant we add anything aimed at beginners into the normal wiki?[/quote]

Yes, that's definitely an approach to be considered.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='AM1' post='374254' date='Jan 8 2009, 05:26 PM']I am detail oriented and focussed therefore sometimes I don't want a tangential debate, I want to ask a question and get a variety of perspectives on that specific subject matter.[/quote]

It may come as a surprise to you, but this forum doesn't exist just to provide what you think you may need or want.

You've made your point. The best thing you can do now is to sit back and watch the discussion develop. Picking out individual points in individual posts and arguing the toss with the moderators before they have formed their opinions may work in the technical diving world, but in this forum it is more likely to prejudice them against your opinion in my experience.

The Wiki is a great idea, but despite the efforts of Bassferret history shows that most people can't be bothered with it. A shame, but there you go.

[quote name='Dmanlamius' post='374268' date='Jan 8 2009, 05:48 PM']I think it's a great idea.

Think of it as a nest, before they move on...[/quote]
+1

I think there would be much more traffic in a Beginners Forum than there currently is on some of the other Forums that we already have here, especially as the site is growing rapidly with new and inexperienced players joining all the time.

When I first started playing as a kid back in the '70s, it took me years to find things out, which was so frustrating! So whenever I tell people about what's so great about Basschat, I point out that it is a fabulous and wonderful resource that offers short-cuts to learning just about everything there is to learn about being a bass player and about basses and gear. Which is great...

.. But IMO, there has been a change in the atmosphere over the last 6-9 months or so and I do believe that in some respects, Basschat isn't quite as friendly or as open as it was during the first year or so. And if I was a new person to the site, I think I might find that quite intimidating or off-putting, especially if I was a little unsure of either my own confidence or what kind of reaction I might get from other more established members.

And in those circumstances, I think I would naturally gravitate towards a Beginners Forum until I felt a bit more confident and a bit more established.

Out of interest, what would it actually take to set it up and run it?

[quote name='pete.young' post='374616' date='Jan 8 2009, 11:20 PM']It may come as a surprise to you, but this forum doesn't exist just to provide what you think you may need or want.[/quote]

Where did I state that it did? I made a simple point, in support of my request for a beginner's forum. The point made is that sometimes beginners need to ask basic questions and hopefully obtain basic answers, in order to quickly move on and facilitate practice and progress. Wading through searches isn't conducive to using time constructively, on practical application.

[quote name='pete.young' post='374616' date='Jan 8 2009, 11:20 PM']You've made your point. The best thing you can do now is to sit back and watch the discussion develop. Picking out individual points in individual posts and arguing the toss with the moderators before they have formed their opinions may work in the technical diving world, but in this forum it is more likely to prejudice them against your opinion in my experience.[/quote]

You are not privy to the private discussions ongoing between myself and moderators here with regards to my request, so kindly do not purport to make assumptions regarding how I conduct my debates, either regarding bass playing or indeed other activities. Also, no moderator has shown any prejudice to my opinions, therefore your comment seems unfounded and rather unfair to them.

[quote name='pete.young' post='374616' date='Jan 8 2009, 11:20 PM']The Wiki is a great idea, but despite the efforts of Bassferret history shows that most people can't be bothered with it. A shame, but there you go.[/quote]

Unfortunately your only contribution to the actual subject matter fails to actually disseminate any constructive material. Just because something may not have succeeded in the past, is no reason not to exercise a degree of tenacity and try again, indeed utilising the technical platform in a different manner may facilitate a workable solution, with some commitment and input from appropriate parties.

Warm regards

AM

Edited by AM1

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='374618' date='Jan 8 2009, 11:22 PM']+1

I think there would be much more traffic in a Beginners Forum than there currently is on some of the other Forums that we already have here, especially as the site is growing rapidly with new and inexperienced players joining all the time.

When I first started playing as a kid back in the '70s, it took me years to find things out, which was so frustrating! So whenever I tell people about what's so great about Basschat, I point out that it is a fabulous and wonderful resource that offers short-cuts to learning just about everything there is to learn about being a bass player and about basses and gear. Which is great...

.. But IMO, there has been a change in the atmosphere over the last 6-9 months or so and I do believe that in some respects, Basschat isn't quite as friendly or as open as it was during the first year or so. And if I was a new person to the site, I think I might find that quite intimidating or off-putting, especially if I was a little unsure of either my own confidence or what kind of reaction I might get from other more established members.

And in those circumstances, I think I would naturally gravitate towards a Beginners Forum until I felt a bit more confident and a bit more established.

Out of interest, what would it actually take to set it up and run it?[/quote]

Hi Nik

I meant to respond to your excellent first post on the topic, but you beat me to it with another excellent contribution.

To set up another forum is a simple administrative task and achievable quickly. To run it, the adminstrative overhead is small, however the moderation overhead may be a different matter.

With the right positive attitude, a well-managed beginner's section will enhance the forum significantly and I would be happy to kick it off by adding my reviews of some beginner bass books I am currently working through. I have emailed the authors and afforded them the opportunity in the first instance, to see any reviews, prior to publication.

If enough people contribute this kind of material, eventually it should be possible to create a directory of reviews, which will undoubtedly make matters easier for the average beginner, picking up the instrument for the first time, who may not have the resources for private lessons and finds themselves faced with a vast array of bass learning books.

Regards

AM

[quote name='AM1' post='374640' date='Jan 8 2009, 11:41 PM']Hi Nik

I meant to respond to your excellent first post on the topic, but you beat me to it with another excellent contribution.

To set up another forum is a simple administrative task and achievable quickly. To run it, the adminstrative overhead is small, however the moderation overhead may be a different matter.

With the right positive attitude, a well-managed beginner's section will enhance the forum significantly and I would be happy to kick it off by adding my reviews of some beginner bass books I am currently working through. I have emailed the authors and afforded them the opportunity in the first instance, to see any reviews, prior to publication.

If enough people contribute this kind of material, eventually it should be possible to create a directory of reviews, which will undoubtedly make matters easier for the average beginner, picking up the instrument for the first time, who may not have the resources for private lessons and finds themselves faced with a vast array of bass learning books.

Regards

AM[/quote]
Ok - so the real challenge would be to moderate it...

In the world I work in (Voluntary Community Sector), mentoring plays a valuable role in helping people new to a situation gain the skills and confidence they need to progress, whether they're new to a job or a school, a charity etc, etc.. and as a rule, it works really well. One definition of mentoring is:

[i]"Mentoring is to support and encourage people to manage their own learning in order that they may maximise their potential, develop their skills, improve their performance and become the person they want to be."
[/i]
It's also about allowing the new person to explore new ideas in confidence.. So if your idea were to become a reality, then perhaps more established members could contribute to a Beginners Forum in a sort of mentoring capacity, leaving plenty of space for beginners to interact at a level that's comfortable for them but being there to help if needed?

Just a thought....

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='374666' date='Jan 9 2009, 12:17 AM']Ok - so the real challenge would be to moderate it...

In the world I work in (Voluntary Community Sector), mentoring plays a valuable role in helping people new to a situation gain the skills and confidence they need to progress, whether they're new to a job or a school, a charity etc, etc.. and as a rule, it works really well. One definition of mentoring is:

[i]"Mentoring is to support and encourage people to manage their own learning in order that they may maximise their potential, develop their skills, improve their performance and become the person they want to be."
[/i]
It's also about allowing the new person to explore new ideas in confidence.. So if your idea were to become a reality, then perhaps more established members could contribute to a Beginners Forum in a sort of mentoring capacity, leaving plenty of space for beginners to interact at a level that's comfortable for them but being there to help if needed?

Just a thought....[/quote]

Nik

You have elucidated perfectly the spirit of what a beginner's section should encompass.

Mentoring is exactly what I had in mind. Whilst I am an advocate of "recognised" learning methodology, I am also a proponent, in the strongest possible terms, of the merits of a great mentor. In the past, I have been both the "student" and the mentor in various activities and they are both equally rewarding.

Some people naturally have the propensity for mentoring, others lack the patience. You strike me as the former.

Regards

AM

i gotta say im coming round to the idea very slightly after reading dmanlamius' first reply. i've not noticed many of the things he says he has noticed, such as questions being unanswered and snobbery, but then, i was a member of bassworld and have been a member on here for a long time, maybe i'm used to it? i might even be one of those snobs, but i definatly try not to be. if he says he's noticed it, i dont doubt he has. i've been looking at basschat from a beginners point of view since i read this thread, and to be honest i can see how it could sort of lower your confidence being surrounded by so many talented players. i still stand by the comments i made before, but i'm seeing why you would be for it and theres a part of me that agrees.

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='375468' date='Jan 9 2009, 06:00 PM']i gotta say im coming round to the idea very slightly after reading dmanlamius' first reply. i've not noticed many of the things he says he has noticed, such as questions being unanswered and snobbery, but then, i was a member of bassworld and have been a member on here for a long time, maybe i'm used to it? i might even be one of those snobs, but i definatly try not to be. if he says he's noticed it, i dont doubt he has. i've been looking at basschat from a beginners point of view since i read this thread, and to be honest i can see how it could sort of lower your confidence being surrounded by so many talented players. i still stand by the comments i made before, but i'm seeing why you would be for it and theres a part of me that agrees.[/quote]

Dont worry, we will all overtake you sometime in the future!

;)

Matt

Edited by Absolute-beginner