Why become a member? ×

Cabinet makers ... Captive nuts?

OldGit

Hiyah

I want to stick my little practice combo on a speaker tripod stand. I have a top hat bracket. This could be screwed to the cab but I'd like a neater sollution than just screwing some big screws into it.

Our Ev SX200 PA speakers have threaded holes in the top, I guess for flying them. That's the sort of thing I want so I can bolt the bracket on, take it off when I don't need it and the holes/nuts/things left in the cab look like they are supposed to be there, rather than ugly screw holes.
The cab's made of ply so should be strong enough.

So I would like to drill some holes, fit the captive nuts into the hole and then screw in the bolts for the bracket.
I hope this makes sence :)
Any idea what these may be called and where I might get some?

TIA
OG

[quote name='Merton' post='372193' date='Jan 6 2009, 05:06 PM']Do you mean like [url="http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?category=Hardware&masthead=Screws_!amp!_Fixings&subheadnew=Teenuts"]these[/url]?[/quote]

Aha! That looks like they may do the job... Thanks

How do I secure them inside the cab?
Glue?
Do those spikey bits hammer into the wood?

[quote name='andyonbass' post='372260' date='Jan 6 2009, 06:10 PM']Have you got a local [url="http://www.screwfix.com/cats/101697/Fixings/Furniture-Fixings"]Screwfix[/url]

Are these any good?

Or these

[/quote]

Ah cheers .. I did try searching the Screwfix site but I didn't know what they were called ..

Thanks

[quote name='alexclaber' post='372304' date='Jan 6 2009, 06:58 PM']If you're going to be screwing things on and off repeatedly then you'll want to epoxy the nuts in place as well as forcing them into the clamp or bolt and large washer. They are the biggest pain in the neck when they come loose so be safe not sorry!

Alex[/quote]

OK I'd planned to do that anyway as I don't want them loose inside the speaker enclosure :)
Thanks

[quote name='OldGit' post='372178' date='Jan 6 2009, 04:57 PM']I want to stick my little practice combo on a speaker tripod stand. I have a top hat bracket.[/quote]

What's a top hat bracket? Do you mean a top hat? If you attach a top hat to the bottom of your combo, you won't be screwing and unscrewing it at all. It will stay under the cabinet and you will simply place the amp on top of the speaker stand, then take it off when you're finished. Unless I'm missing something obvious.

[quote name='stevie' post='372318' date='Jan 6 2009, 07:14 PM']What's a top hat bracket? Do you mean a top hat? If you attach a top hat to the bottom of your combo, you won't be screwing and unscrewing it at all. It will stay under the cabinet and you will simply place the amp on top of the speaker stand, then take it off when you're finished. Unless I'm missing something obvious.[/quote]

The stands came with a thing that could be screwed to a speaker so that it can be mounted on top of the stands if it doesn't have a hole. This isn't it but it's teh same idea

I'll be taking it off after each of the gigs where I need it on the stand (it's a "very close to my ear" monitor for intonation problems on the upright stick bass). The bracket top hat thing will stop the combo standing on it's feet in between.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='372304' date='Jan 6 2009, 06:58 PM']If you're going to be screwing things on and off repeatedly then you'll want to epoxy the nuts in place as well as forcing them into the clamp or bolt and large washer. They are the biggest pain in the neck when they come loose so be safe not sorry!

Alex[/quote]

+1 to Alex's comment. Don't try to bash then in with a hammer - pull them in with a large G-clamp or similar with something to spread the load or use a bolt with a big washer. Hammering will often end with the spikes bent and not doing their job.

[quote name='OldGit' post='372392' date='Jan 6 2009, 08:27 PM']The stands came with a thing that could be screwed to a speaker so that it can be mounted on top of the stands if it doesn't have a hole. This isn't it but it's teh same idea[/quote]

Aha - I see what you mean ... thanks. It's like the mount that Bose use.

[quote name='thinman' post='372434' date='Jan 6 2009, 09:12 PM']+1 to Alex's comment. Don't try to bash then in with a hammer - pull them in with a large G-clamp or similar with something to spread the load or use a bolt with a big washer. Hammering will often end with the spikes bent and not doing their job.[/quote]

Ok thanks

[quote name='OldGit' post='372392' date='Jan 6 2009, 08:27 PM']The stands came with a thing that could be screwed to a speaker so that it can be mounted on top of the stands if it doesn't have a hole.[/quote]
Is there a reason for not simply putting a top-hat into the bottom of the combo?