Why become a member? ×

clickity clack

Dread Bass

I use it a little bit in a couple of songs - fast, double-time sections, that just cry out for a bit of 'clack'. But that's about it. It does sound pretty cool when used to contrast with a more subtle and mellow section, but none of the material that I play would work with it used more than in moderation.

Geilerbas I did not realise you play for To-mera what an epic band i love your stuff i think it great. Anyone who hasn't checked this band out should. That is where i'm stuck is how much to use it. my band play quite a lot of death metal riffs but we are not constantly like that. I noticed the benefits of contrast with this style in one of our songs were working on which goes from a solid death metal section into a melodic lead bassy kind of bit. I'm having a blast with it.

Cheers dude - glad you like the music! I've only been in the band for about a year, so none of the recorded material is me (I joined just after the previous album was recorded). Hopefully, that should change as we are currently working on new material.

I used to use a more death metal-style, 3-finger technique on some of the older Demagogue stuff, but we've mellowed out a bit more recently - and to be honest, I was never that great at it :)

[quote name='geilerbass' post='371858' date='Jan 6 2009, 12:09 PM']Hopefully, that should change as we are currently working on new material.

I used to use a more death metal-style, 3-finger technique on some of the older Demagogue stuff, but we've mellowed out a bit more recently - and to be honest, I was never that great at it :)[/quote]

Cool keep me informed on new stuff.

I am still working on trying to get the three finger technique down getting there but keep slipping out of time.

Edited by metaltime

I love this sound. I have my action extremely low and no relief in my neck so that when I dig in I get a bit of 'clack'. My sound otherwise is quite smooth and a bit of clack really helps define the bottom end. Watch my 'demo' video on my websh*te (link in sig) for my interpretation of the sound. I don't like basses with higher action because I find them harder to play and I can't get that sound if I dig in, it just goes 'buh'

Cheers!
ped

[quote name='ped' post='371988' date='Jan 6 2009, 01:53 PM']I love this sound. I have my action extremely low and no relief in my neck so that when I dig in I get a bit of 'clack'. My sound otherwise is quite smooth and a bit of clack really helps define the bottom end. Watch my 'demo' video on my websh*te (link in sig) for my interpretation of the sound. I don't like basses with higher action because I find them harder to play and I can't get that sound if I dig in, it just goes 'buh'

Cheers!
ped[/quote]

Amen to that. I really don't understand this 'high action' nonsense.

Playing a Vigier must really help with getting that absurdly low action that we all seek. I tried out what I think was a Passion III 5-string and the fretboard was insane. Just wish I had £2+ grand kicking around to buy one...

It does lend itself to that sound very nicely - I use wimpy thin strings too so all in all it is quite effortless to play. I like it so that when you dig in, it sounds almost like a slap. hard to describe. I normally play with a light touch so any variation in plucking technique is amplified massively, and of course, mistakes really stand out and make me look even more of a bender than usual.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='372176' date='Jan 6 2009, 04:56 PM']It does lend itself to that sound very nicely - I use wimpy thin strings too so all in all it is quite effortless to play. I like it so that when you dig in, it sounds almost like a slap. hard to describe. I normally play with a light touch so any variation in plucking technique is amplified massively, and of course, mistakes really stand out and make me look even more of a bender than usual.

Cheers
ped[/quote]

:) :huh: :huh:

I saw the guy from the stolen babies use a vigier live and it sounded awesome cut right through. I can imagine the graphite helps. I think warwicks lend themselves to this style very well too trying to get the clack out of my high C is pretty hard tho even with it tuned to A`

Yeah I listened to some of their stuff, they sounded quite good. Warwicks definitely have a nice 'clack' to them too, I am not sure what the best ingredients are for that sound but I think it has to be a mix of a straight stiff neck, low action, soft body and pickups near the sweet spot.

Cheers
ped

• 2 months later...

I don't think it's just that - there is a fine line between a bit of clack and a choking feeling IME. I found it works on some basses more than others, but cannot nail the ideal 'recipe' any further than I already have - I think it is due to the sum of the parts and the physical setup of the instrument...

I used to have the clicky mid scooped tone as my usual setting, it's awesome for switching between slap and fingerstyle, solos come out nicely with it too.

Been experimenting with more mid boost and treble cut lately as it's very responsive for fingerstyle. I play with a light touch so I no longer hit the strings, but pluck them. It's a different sound to what I used to go for, but I use both in different contexts.

The clicky sound on a Stingray is truly amazing, or one of those new Ibanez ATK series, they have some serious low end!

• 3 months later...

Just to awake this thread again :brow:

1st - Does this technique have a name or is just 'Clack'?

I use it quite a lot actually...but my instrument seems to be set up differently, I use a Jazz bass with HIGH action and standard gauge roundwounds...I believe the 'sectret' is in the attack (I'm quite heavy handed, must admit) and playing closer to the neck. I do this finger style. Just for curiosity, does anybody do this with a pick?

[quote name='josh3184' post='516615' date='Jun 17 2009, 04:56 PM']what technique? Spinning your hair? Which part of the video do you mean?[/quote]

that part where I stand in the middle of the desert with my pink speedos and i'm playing that punk rock metal thing, a bit bluesy and jazzy but quite funky, you know, with a lot of soul, almost a reggae dub kind of sound but not quite like that. I just though the clak thing would fit :)