Why become a member? ×

2000 Gibson Thunderbird US-Made Ebony

billyboi3000

[quote name='ahpook' post='371756' date='Jan 6 2009, 11:13 AM']i love the look of thunderbirds, but having played a few, the neck dive totally puts me off.

they're just too much hard work ![/quote]

You can move the strap pins to completely negate it :)

Defacto mod for any of the Tokai/Epi/Gretch copies, and quite common on the gibbo's as well.

I love the sound of Gibson Thunderbirds. Had one a while back for years. Had to move the strap-pins to remove the neck dive. The necks are really nice, remind me a lot of Jazz bass necks but they are quite weak and there are numerous cases of the neck breaking at the nut. You need extra bright strings imo to get a really nice tone as the wood and p/up combination gives it a dark tone.
Reason I got rid of it was because I'm only a little fella and these basses make you look like a f***ng umpa-lumpa if you're vertically challenged like me. I kept getting job offers to work in a chocolate factory every time I strapped my thunderbird on :)

Edited by WHUFC BASS

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='373322' date='Jan 7 2009, 07:12 PM']I love the sound of Gibson Thunderbirds. Had one a while back for years. Had to move the strap-pins to remove the neck dive. The necks are really nice, remind me a lot of Jazz bass necks but they are quite weak and there are numerous cases of the neck breaking at the nut. You need extra bright strings imo to get a really nice tone as the wood and p/up combination gives it a dark tone.
Reason I got rid of it was because I'm only a little fella and these basses make you look like a f***ng umpa-lumpa if you're vertically challenged like me. I kept getting job offers to work in a chocolate factory every time I strapped my thunderbird on :)[/quote]

:huh: :huh: