Why become a member? ×

A bass album that really affected you?

Angel

1 hour ago, pst62 said:

Some naughty lines going on in here too! IIRC he played with a pick?

Yep, 99% of the time. 

For those not in the know, his Wal was passive. He had an active but didn’t like it as much so sold it. He’s now got 2, both passive. Oh, Rotosound strings too. 

For anyone who wants to work their chops, try Sexy Eiffel Towers.😉

Edited by 4000
  • Like 2

The first bass album I heard, as opposed to bass on an album, that knocked me out was Francoise Rabath's 1963 album The Sound Of A Bass. Only a double bass (sometimes double tracked) and drums. I discovered it in 1969, bought the album and wore it out. It didn't change my bass style much but it significantly moved my listening goal posts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3UOOCUkqDw

For me it was not so much an album as it was the dvds. Back in the early 00s my brother had Victor Wooten's Bass Day 98 and Bass Extremes Live, I absolutely loved both of those - even Steve Bailey's questionable intonation didn't put me off. Other important stuff for me was Billy Sheehan on Steve Vai's Live at the Astoria and Stuart Hamm on Joe Satriani's Live in San Francisco. Bill Dickens dvd has some amazing playing on it too. 

Those guys defined the style that I love the most. Technically accomplished and serving the song with incredible groove, except the songs aren't just plodding along playing root notes all night. The bass tones and overall mixes are great too. 

For me it was rancid 'and out come the wolves'. Specifically 'Journey to the end of East bay' made go out and buy a bass, purely cos the intro sounded rubbish on guitar. It would've been no more than a novelty instrument had I not mentioned it to my guitar teacher who got me to bring it down and then had a Eureka moment with me. "Of course, your a bassist it all makes sense now!"

At the time I was chuffed, it took me a few years to work out the pejorative connotations of that statement....

Not a bass album as such, but I've just been sent a double CD compilation of country songs by Brenda Lee.  I must confess to not paying much attention to "Little Miss Dynamite's" song book but this is a very interesting collection of 50 tracks.  What has struck me about the album is the bass playing.  Just about every song is augmented by a melodic yet subtle bass line that really gives each track depth and feel.  The bass is not overpowering or dominating and there are no 'over the top' solos or slapping but the whole compilation is a lesson in how to use the electric bass to enhance a song.

• Like 1

On 28/09/2019 at 18:57, Bassmidget209 said:

For me it was rancid 'and out come the wolves'. Specifically 'Journey to the end of East bay' made go out and buy a bass, purely cos the intro sounded rubbish on guitar. It would've been no more than a novelty instrument had I not mentioned it to my guitar teacher who got me to bring it down and then had a Eureka moment with me. "Of course, your a bassist it all makes sense now!"

At the time I was chuffed, it took me a few years to work out the pejorative connotations of that statement....

Album choice seconded, and not forgetting “Let’s Go!”