Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker + Mark Bass LM11

NoLogic69

My main rig is an Ashdown ABM900 head with 8x10 cab - my Rickenbacker sounds great through that. But suprisingly it also sounds great through my tiny Gallien Krueger MB150 which I use for for my upright. It really snarls especially with the GK boost in action. I recon it'll be fine with your rig. You can always duff up the signal with an MXR M80 DI or similar if its ounds a bit civilized.

[quote name='Boneless' post='366398' date='Dec 30 2008, 04:55 PM']Some say that a Rick plays best with a bit of overdrive, or anyway a saturated amp.
While that may be probably true, this doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to get a good tone out of a Markbass amp. You could buy a preamp, anyway, if you feel like having a bit of drive :)[/quote]

+1 basically what I said.

Erm... sorry, I didn't notice :huh:

Although, for a Rick, I'd suggest a Sansamp or similar (a Behringer BDI, for a cheap alternative, or a Hartke VXL, for a somewhat "cleaner" and more open one) rather than a M80, since the latter sounds quite "modern", and probably a more vintage-y kind of colour matches better with the general idea of the Rick sound :) even though an M80 probably would sound just fine as well, even better if you like a harsher kind of sound (like me, by the way),

Edited by Boneless

[quote name='NoLogic69' post='366355' date='Dec 30 2008, 04:13 PM']Cheers guys................. My GAS is worsening by the day![/quote]

It will get worse :)

I had a LM11 as my second head to my Mesa 400+ and TBH my Ric sounded great through it but the LM11 is such a great head anyway you would struggle finding a better S/S amp.

I've not been particularly happy with the tone of my Rics through the Markbass gear I've tried so far (I also didn't like the GS112s - hence why I sold them recently) but I guess it all depends on how you play and what you think is a good Ric tone. You need to try 'em and see. That's what I'm going to keep doing.

Quick here,s the smellin salts :huh: :huh: tried one out n never got round to gettin a sansamp but if you want to donate one the 3 switch one looks cool n what about the deluxe version.By the way what is the hartke bass attack like ? I would quite fancy one but how do they compare to the sansamp ?.Is your t40 black by any chance ?,what do you think of it?.I t is one of the few basses I would like to get my hands on,pity that they stopped making them.Any way getting off the thread here.Ricky and a driver of some sort and you are laughing. :)

I found both the Sansamp and the Behringer BDI (which is a quite close copy) "boxy" and dull-sounding.
The Hartke VXL Bass Attack, albeit less warm, is more "open" and clear. Only drawback (a very annoying one, though) is that the EQ is never bypassed (the best thing would be to get a line selector, or modify it in some way, shouldn't be hard, it's just a matter of rewiring the parallel output to a switch).
My Peavey T-40 isn't black, it's natural ash.

Well its a great combination !

Let the people who have them tell you what they are like, NOT what people 'think' they might or might not be like together !

I use a Ric 4003 thru MarkBass LMII & 410HF Cab with the occasional us of a MXR M-80 dirty pedal = Loud and punchy. Not as 'clinical' as you might think either, especially when cranked up.

I have a Fender P-Bass too and choose the Ric over the P just about all of the time.

Go for it !

[quote name='NoLogic69' post='371363' date='Jan 5 2009, 08:39 PM']Well Guys, thanks for all your comments!

I'm now the proud owner of a beautiful Fireglo 4003, which I bought from Geddy's Nose (cheers Simon).
I'm very happy to say that it sounds incredible through my LM11 and 2x Loud Inc 2x10 cabs. :)[/quote]

Told ya ! :huh: