Why become a member? ×

HELP NEEDED CHOOSING CORRECT CAB!!!

BIG.J

Hope you all had a good crimbo,

I am looking to purchase an additional cab to link into my existing Hartke HA500 Head & TRANSPORTER 4X10 CAB.

I would prefer a small 2x10 cab that I could use for practice sessions, and then stack with existing 4x10 when live.

The head is 250 w per side into 4 ohms/175 into 8 ohms and can be bridged.
The amp also has a built in crossover /high and low outputs for biamping.

The 4x10 transporter is rated: 300w into 8 ohms

Any suggestions please!

Pref Under £150

Regards

Justin. :)

Edited by xverminate

[quote name='Paul S' post='364641' date='Dec 28 2008, 10:13 AM']My daily idiot question - can someone please explain what this 'biamp' thing is, please? In words of one syllable or less, and from the beginning.

Ta.[/quote]
Bi-Amping refers to using different amplifiers (or different channels of the same amp) for the low and high frequencies in the same speaker. Usually, the mid and tweeter are driven by one amp, and the woofer is driven by more powerful amp.

If a speaker is capable of bi-amping, then the plate on the back of the speaker will have 4 binding posts: 2 + terminals and 2 - terminals. Both + terminals and both - will have a piece of metal connecting them together. To bi-amp the speaker, remove the metal piece. Then, use the top 2 terminals for the high frequency amp, and the bottom two terminals for the bass amp.

[quote name='oldmanrock' post='365794' date='Dec 29 2008, 09:49 PM']If a speaker is capable of bi-amping, then the plate on the back of the speaker will have 4 binding posts: 2 + terminals and 2 - terminals. Both + terminals and both - will have a piece of metal connecting them together. To bi-amp the speaker, remove the metal piece. Then, use the top 2 terminals for the high frequency amp, and the bottom two terminals for the bass amp.[/quote]

No, no, no, no, no! Speakers with 2 linked sets of posts are suitable for bi-WIRING not bi-amping. This is one of those hi-fi things that always struck me as pointless, as you're still using the same passive crossovers.

A

Some interesting comments lads!

I must admit i have thought about the 2x10 Transporter cab only being 150w (8ohm)

Not sure weather i need to be looking at a higher spec cab, Although the whole rig wont be Hartke then?

On a Budget the new Behringer Ultrabass 600w 2x10 retails around £133?

I have also got to consider using the 2x10 on its own with the HA5000 head for rehersals etc! Needs to handle the power!

Any other thoughts on this?

Thanks for all your input so far.

Justin.

Edited by xverminate

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='367474' date='Dec 31 2008, 10:22 PM']I would agree that the TP cab might not handle enough power.

I have tried the TP and XL 4x10s and the TP flakes out sooner.[/quote]

Many thanks, Handy to know.

Cheers

Justin. :)

Sorted, Just bought a 500w Aluminium coned Behringer 2x10 (BA210) = £109 delivered to the door next day!

Hopefully it will handle my HA5000 head on its own when in practice & STACK WHEN LIVE?

This is the sort of money i had at the time and if it fry's then i will re-load the cab!

Thanks for all your help especially Paul!

Happy new year!

Justin.