Why become a member? ×

Pedal controlled sampling on the cheap?

dandini

Ive got a micro korg and a yamaha piano which we (teh band) are toying with using live, howvere im the only one who an play the half decently.

What we have thought about doing is recording teh bits we want and triggering them using a sampler or similar means... but ideally dont wanna spend mega money to do this.

What are our best options ladies and gents?

We are not planning on running a laptop at the moment for a few reasons so want whatever medium we use to actually just turn up, play when triggred and stop when triggered, ideally by foot control.

Cheers

Dan

[quote name='dandini' post='362228' date='Dec 23 2008, 06:38 PM']Ive got a micro korg and a yamaha piano which we (teh band) are toying with using live, howvere im the only one who an play the half decently.

What we have thought about doing is recording teh bits we want and triggering them using a sampler or similar means... but ideally dont wanna spend mega money to do this.

What are our best options ladies and gents?

We are not planning on running a laptop at the moment for a few reasons so want whatever medium we use to actually just turn up, play when triggred and stop when triggered, ideally by foot control.

Cheers

Dan[/quote]

I would go for MIDI of some description if I was you. Or a keyboard player, who could work the keyboards into your other songs.

[quote name='TheBrokenDoor' post='362466' date='Dec 24 2008, 12:44 AM']If you're using a laptop, Ableton Live would be perfect.

You can trigger loops of midi and audio via a midi foot controller, or arrange your structure and just press play. You can also route a click to your drummer and not FOH to keep time.

I use it a lot, and it is the shiznit.

Dan[/quote]

Thats a potential long term option. Really want something just out of teh box... but i guess that woudl be expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dandini' post='369084' date='Jan 3 2009, 02:20 AM']Anyone ever use a Digitech Jam man?[/quote]

Yup. Digitech Jam Man would do it. I've done it. Remember that you have a minium sample length of 4 seconds though (so if you are planning to loop something less than 4 seconds, you'll need to edit it on your computer to make it a longer loop (e.g. two loops of the same sample so that it is at least 4 seconds) then upload it to the jamman - if this makes sense)... you'll need the external pedal to change through different loops (e.g. different samples as each one has to be stored on a seperate loop)

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='TheBrokenDoor' post='362466' date='Dec 24 2008, 12:44 AM']If you're using a laptop, Ableton Live would be perfect.

You can trigger loops of midi and audio via a midi foot controller, or arrange your structure and just press play. You can also route a click to your drummer and not FOH to keep time.

I use it a lot, and it is the shiznit.

Dan[/quote]

Agreed. If you are only triggering midi you don't need a particularly powerful machine or an expensive interface. You can get a midi usb cable for about £5. Infact you could probably get away with using the demo version (free) if you knew someone with either the full or lite version who could load the clips for you.

Well I was going to suggest just making a CD with a click track on one side and the samples on the other. The thing is, if you came in after 5 instead of 4 beats, or anything like that, it would totally mess it up..........(because he says he wants to do it without a laptop).

[quote name='cheddatom' post='371114' date='Jan 5 2009, 04:55 PM']Well I was going to suggest just making a CD with a click track on one side and the samples on the other. The thing is, if you came in after 5 instead of 4 beats, or anything like that, it would totally mess it up..........(because he says he wants to do it without a laptop).[/quote]

You can tap tempo on the jamman (just remember to get your sample in sync)

There is also somewhere on the net where it explains how to alter the ini files that are stored with the loop on the jamman to get the no of samples in time with the tempo. You can do it either way.

I'd definitely go for the Jamman personally. It's really easy to get loops and samples on via USB, its robust and good quality. Not too expensive either. You don't necessarily need the external foot controller either unless you need to change patches with your feet during a song or something.

However, if you want to send the drummer a synched click then it may not be the best option as it is mono only.

[quote]I have a slightly cheaper version of a midi controller which is a normal computer keyboard with most of the keys removed and bottle tops stuck onto the keys left to make a larger target for you foot. Works well![/quote]

Nice idea!!! With Ableton, you'd be routing the midi signals to do the same thing as the keyboard.

Dan