Why become a member? ×

Hello from Derbyshire and new to bass

JDM

Hello,
My name is Jon and I am contemplating the notion of experimenting with Bass Guitar.
I have in my younger day played an acoustic 6 string guitar, purely for recreational purposes and was considering buying another until I decided that I quite fancied a crack at the bass for a change, why not I thought.
:) :huh:

Quite simply I have registered here as I need advice and a quantity of educated guidance from you more experienced and learned folk.

I don't want to go and buy anything cheap and nasty but then again I don't want to buy anything that would cost a lot and be wasted on a begginner like myself.

Can you guys suggest any tried and tested "worthy" entry level basses. I quite like the look of the Epiphone EB-3, but that's it, the look of it and nothing more as yet !!!

Thanks in advance, Jon.

Welcome to the forum :)

Far be it from me to dissuade you from your choice but I should warn you (from experience) that the Epi EB-3 is rather neck heavy so you have to keep the neck up as you play. As a beginner it might make initial learning that bit more difficult. It did for me.

Hi Jon,

You've come to the right place!
For about £150 you can get a very playable, reliable bass, suitable for playing in public [should you ever want to].
Many basses made in the Far East offer incredible value for money.
Don't forget to allow plenty in your budget for an amp of some sort, strap, stand, tuner, lead etc etc.

Hey Jon, there are a lot of cheap basses to cater for beginners these days, squier make some decent ones, there's one for sale on the classifieds on here at the moment.

I hope you stick around and enjoy your stay :)

You should come along to the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=32607&hl=nottingham+bass+bash"]nottingham bass bash[/url] in february, if you haven't picked a bass by then, you could have a go on some of our cheap basses i'm sure, and if you have one by then you could have a look at some more expensive basses as upgrades and get some good advice and just have a laugh :huh: Of course i'm sure people won't mind you playing whatever.

Welcome to the forum Jon, have a good stay.

Thanks for the welcome.
I shall take your comments on board as I begin to have a sniff around for a suitable tool which shall be after Christmas. I have recently looked at the Squier and shall investigate further.
Is the EB-3 exceptionally neck heavy for all users or does the players build and stature come into it regarding being able to compensate for this ?

Best Regards, Jon.

[quote name='JDM' post='362039' date='Dec 23 2008, 02:57 PM']Thanks for the welcome.
I shall take your comments on board as I begin to have a sniff around for a suitable tool which shall be after Christmas. I have recently looked at the Squier and shall investigate further.
Is the EB-3 exceptionally neck heavy for all users or does the players build and stature come into it regarding being able to compensate for this ?

Best Regards, Jon.[/quote]

Jon

I would stay away from the epi as not only is it neck heavy as mentioned, the sound aint that good unless you are looking for a 60`s type sound, if you get me drift. The tone controls dont do much and are a bit cheap and nasty, so, for slightly more than the cost of the epi, you should try a classic vibe squire, p bass or a jazz, they are both excellent.

Having owned an eb03 and a epi thunderbird, they look cool but are mince to live with.
Try a cheap Ibanez, a gsr200 or similar. Great build quality, active pickups. Good luck! Jezza

I recommend trying out a p bass and a j bass first. I prefer the wider neck at the nut end of the p bass over a j bass. A j bass will offer a greater tonal range (as it has two pick ups). You could also have a look at the Epiphone Les Paul Bass. There are loads out there.

[quote name='Pookus' post='362830' date='Dec 24 2008, 02:34 PM']I recommend trying out a p bass and a j bass first. I prefer the wider neck at the nut end of the p bass over a j bass. A j bass will offer a greater tonal range (as it has two pick ups). You could also have a look at the Epiphone Les Paul Bass. There are loads out there.[/quote]

Thanks Pookus. Oh, from one newbie to another, Hi.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='363374' date='Dec 25 2008, 06:57 PM']Hey dude, got this month's "bass guitar magazine" for christmas, and i just thought you'd like to know there's an article on 25 beginner basses.[/quote]

Thats handy info. Thanks very much for sharing this with me. I shall have a shuffty round WHS when the shops re open and see if I can get copy.

[quote name='JDM' post='363420' date='Dec 25 2008, 09:33 PM']Thats handy info. Thanks very much for sharing this with me. I shall have a shuffty round WHS when the shops re open and see if I can get copy.[/quote]
No worries mate. It's not amazingly comprehensive, but it will give you an idea of what you can get for your money. and when you read it, remember that those are the list prices and you'll probably actually only pay about 75% of that on some of them if you find the right deal.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Peavey basses here... I got a Peavey Zephyr (now the Grind range) thru-neck 4 string for my first bass about 8 years ago, and I still have it now. It works fine and still sounds the business after extensive use and abuse, never had any problems with it and plays like a dream. That cost me about 240 but peavey also have a lot of cheaper basses such as the milestone 3 jazz copy, normally about 130quid.

I would say to try before you buy but I know that as a beginner it's really hard as you don't know what you're looking for, but from experience I can recommend peavey.

[quote name='Weird War' post='363606' date='Dec 26 2008, 12:27 PM']Welcome, Jon. :)

I'd check out Yamaha and Ibanez basses too - great value.[/quote]

Yeah, I have done. when I got to The Music Store in Notts I had a look at the Squire Basses and the Vibe somehow made me feel awkward (maybe it's my beer gut in the way!!!! :huh: ) when on the strap, but it was fine perched on my knee whilst seated. They also had an Ibanez GSR200, this I tried for comfort and it liked me..............I purchased it :huh: :huh: :huh: :o ...........it's me first bass and I'm as happy as a dog with two d*cks.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcomes and advice given to me regarding possible buys and where to look etc.

Edited by JDM