Why become a member? ×

First go with Garageband

Weird War

Hi everyone

I'll be having my first go at recording over Christmas, using Garageband. I'm planning to send my bass output via my Microbass II to my Mac - will this work ok? I'm not expecting it to sound great, more for reference really.

Thanks

Doug

Edited by Weird War

I don't know what a microbass II is and I can't be asses to google at 11.40pm.

But I have to say that Garageband is a superb bit of free software for getting into recording. I can't believe how ridiculously easy it is to use! I bought a 'monster' cable off the internet for about £14 and I plug into that and go straight into the mac with no other interface. Not high tech but it gets a result!

[quote name='Weird War' post='361485' date='Dec 22 2008, 10:08 PM']I'm planning to send my bass output via my Microbass II to my Mac - will this work ok?[/quote]
Fraid not - you'll need an interface box of some sort. Basically a box that you plug a jack plug which then squirts it out on a USB (or Firewire cable) which you plug into the Mac. Try a Line 6 Toneport, that's what I use and it works a treat. Garageband's great, very easy to use and very easy to get great results.

Edited by stingrayfan

I have a lead that I take straight from my bass straight into the back of the mac.

You can hear how it sounds here:

www.myspace.com/frigorific

& listen to "R we having fun" and "Criminal". I re recorded the bass in GB.

I done most of the mixing of all four of the songs in garageband & then put the individual tracks into Audacity (also free) and finished them there.
Garageband seemed to lose top end & volume for some strange reason when I exported the finished jobbies.

Edited by xgsjx

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Bass via the Microbass works though, as expected, does not sound great. I'd read another thread about USB/Firewire interfaces so wasn't sure how important these might be.

So, I'll have a go over Christmas and let you know how I get on. :)

Edited by Weird War

Ok, here's my first ever effort at recording bass, adding a simple part to an old piano/vocals demo, and using GarageBand.

I went Jazz-preamp-Mac (I need to get a proper interface, I know!) so apologies for the sound quality.

Any comments and tips welcome. :)

Edited by Weird War

[quote name='xgsjx' post='370347' date='Jan 4 2009, 09:03 PM']I like it. Sounds pretty good to me.[/quote]

Thanks mate. I realised afterwards that I recorded the bass in mono - I'm guessing stereo recording, then placing the bass left or right in the mix would be best, right?

I like it too mate, sounds great. You should still be able to pan yourself in Mono, but stereo will give your reverbs and so on a bit of room to breathe, but not really any need most of the time. Nice tune though man, really good.

ped

Good first go - bass sounds a little muffled and lost though. Could do with beefing up. Think that would improve with a half decent interface, plus a bit of compression/effects in Garageband to beef it up a bit. A fresh set of strings makes a big difference too. I put new strings on before [url="http://mistermattsmith.googlepages.com/FunkBass.mp3"]recording this[/url] on GB with my Yamaha BB. Used a good slab of compression. See what you think.

Thanks for the feedback, chaps, much appreciated.

Stingrayfan, that sounds excellent. What interface do you use, out of interest? Do you apply compression in GB itself, or beforehand via a pedal in chain? I used to own a BB414: really fast neck on those basses - I even got close to nailing Rhythm Stick!

Good point re: strings too - I used some old flats on my recording and they obviously don't jump out of the mix. I'm going to stick some nickel rounds on and compare.

[quote name='brummie' post='372964' date='Jan 7 2009, 12:23 PM']Hi,
I put my (active) bass through the mic input of an Alesis Mulltimix 8 USB into GB and get great results, the multimix only cost me £45 on Gumtree, use whatever gets you a great sound.
Good luck[/quote]

Cheers for the tip, Brummie.