Why become a member? ×

SOLD 1980 Pre-EB Stingray

Beedster

[attachment=17602:CIMG0294.JPG] [attachment=17601:CIMG0291.JPG] [attachment=17598:CIMG0285.JPG] [attachment=17600:CIMG0288.JPG]

February 1980, 3-bolt neck, 2EQ, string-through, slab body, natural finish, rosewood board. It ain't for the faint-hearted, it's heavy, but it's powerful and has a significantly more solid tone than more recent EB 'rays I've owned. Feel/playability wise, it's probably got more in common with a good 70's Fender, i.e., it feels rock solid and unbreakable. It's been well-used but with the exception of the sort of damage to the finish you'd expect of a 30-year old bass, it's in good nick.

The bass cost me a brand new 'ray and £400 so it's not unreasonable to say that it has a value to me of around £1300, and I'm looking for a trade/PX to around that value. I'd be interested in a good 70's Precision, especially if it has a natural finish. Also interested in a good MIJ Precision (I'd need some cash alongside either option depending on the bass). I'm not interested in MIA post-1979 or MIM. I'd consider a straight trade for a '70's Jazz also.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='361616' date='Dec 23 2008, 01:59 AM']:huh: :)

Very shocked to see this Chris?? Have you been on the Advocat already before Xmas??[/quote]

LOL

Realised that, although I loved having it, I prefer to play a Precision (or even a Jazz :huh: ) when I play with the band. I guess I realised I was keeping the 'ray out of ego/sentiment as opposed to practicality. I keep saying it but I just prefer passive instruments (and I must remind myself of that when I consider buying another active). It's certainly not an easy bass to get rid of in that it's probably the best vintage bass I've owned, in terms of contruction it's in a league of it's own and the sound is a significant step above EB 'rays. There's also something about the fingerboard that I can't quite put my finger on (ironically), but it's the best I've ever played. I have to admit I was seriously thinking of putting in a passive PUP but am facing the fact that, if it's a Precision sound I'm after, I should just play a Precision :huh: .
I'm only a 60 minute drive away if you want to try it...... :huh:
All the best for Xmas Nik
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='361661' date='Dec 23 2008, 07:49 AM']LOL

Realised that, although I loved having it, I prefer to play a Precision (or even a Jazz :) ) when I play with the band. I guess I realised I was keeping the 'ray out of ego/sentiment as opposed to practicality. I keep saying it but I just prefer passive instruments (and I must remind myself of that when I consider buying another active). It's certainly not an easy bass to get rid of in that it's probably the best vintage bass I've owned, in terms of contruction it's in a league of it's own and the sound is a significant step above EB 'rays. There's also something about the fingerboard that I can't quite put my finger on (ironically), but it's the best I've ever played. I have to admit I was seriously thinking of putting in a passive PUP but am facing the fact that, if it's a Precision sound I'm after, I should just play a Precision :huh: .
Chris[/quote]
Hi Chris,

I had one very similar to this back in 1995 which I sold to Martin Petersen at The Gallery in the end and it was lovely! Needed the money though at the time, so it had to go..

More recently, I played Kiwi's at the SE Bash and that was fabulous too; there is definitely something different about the pre EB Stingray's IMO (and I have owned 2 EB 'Rays as well to make that comparison..).

As you say though, this comes down to the difference between a passive and active basses and it seems you're like me in generally preferring the sound of a passive bass.. My old Wal Pro 2e is the only exception to that rule for me.

Would love to catch up with you at some point Chris and thanks for the offer of a visit to Beedster Towers! Have a great Xmas and New Year in the meantime and let's catch up in '09 sometime soon?

Good luck with the sale/px/trade etc!

Nik

You're always welcome at Beedster Towers Nik (bring that Wal and we'll play poker for it) :) Seriously, let's get together and talk basses and life soon mate.

Yep, there is a special thing about pre-EBs. I've owned 5 EBs - from a '87 which was awesome to a '99 which wasn't - and a couple of SR5s and Bongos. There seems to be a quantitative difference between those and the LF era instruments however, i.e., something more than the arguably qualitative difference between pre- and post-CBS Fenders? Hard to pin down, but I guess it comes down to the quality of the materials used?

Re trades, I've been offered a few Jazzes. Any early 70's Precisions out there...?

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='361661' date='Dec 23 2008, 07:49 AM']LOL

Realised that, although I loved having it, I prefer to play a Precision (or even a Jazz :) ) when I play with the band. I guess I realised I was keeping the 'ray out of ego/sentiment as opposed to practicality. I keep saying it but I just prefer passive instruments (and I must remind myself of that when I consider buying another active). It's certainly not an easy bass to get rid of in that it's probably the best vintage bass I've owned, in terms of contruction it's in a league of it's own and the sound is a significant step above EB 'rays. There's also something about the fingerboard that I can't quite put my finger on (ironically), but it's the best I've ever played. I have to admit I was seriously thinking of putting in a passive PUP but am facing the fact that, if it's a Precision sound I'm after, I should just play a Precision :huh: .
Chris[/quote]

MB1. :huh:
"Seriously thinking about putting in a passive pickup?"
In a Pre EB Stingray????.....Kennedy was assasinated for less!

[quote name='Beedster' post='362255' date='Dec 23 2008, 07:11 PM']You're always welcome at Beedster Towers Nik (bring that Wal and we'll play poker for it) :) Seriously, let's get together and talk basses and life soon mate.

Yep, there is a special thing about pre-EBs. I've owned 5 EBs - from a '87 which was awesome to a '99 which wasn't - and a couple of SR5s and Bongos. There seems to be a quantitative difference between those and the LF era instruments however, i.e., something more than the arguably qualitative difference between pre- and post-CBS Fenders? Hard to pin down, but I guess it comes down to the quality of the materials used?

Re trades, I've been offered a few Jazzes. Any early 70's Precisions out there...?

Chris[/quote]
+1

Sounds great.. Will get in touch after the New Year and arrange something after I've had a few months of poker lessons.. :huh:

It's a weird thing isn't it - you almost want something just "because" but every time you get it, it isn't quite what you wanted it to be.

I've been having the same love affair with 'rays and every time I end up with another one (hoping it would have the elusive "something" that the others missed) I soon found out it wasn't really the right thing and ended up getting rid of it. I was utterly sure for a long while that my problem would be cured with an older natural/rosewood 2EQ stingray. When I finally got one it wasn't the one I was looking for...

Settled on my Sterling HH for now (but for how long)

Best of luck with the sale Chris, its an amazing looking bass. If I was in the grip of my bi-annual 'ray-gas you'd have a PM by now :)

I don't suppose it's got "The One" written on the back somewhere?

J

[quote name='Legion' post='362367' date='Dec 23 2008, 09:26 PM']It's a weird thing isn't it - you almost want something just "because" but every time you get it, it isn't quite what you wanted it to be.

I've been having the same love affair with 'rays and every time I end up with another one (hoping it would have the elusive "something" that the others missed) I soon found out it wasn't really the right thing and ended up getting rid of it. I was utterly sure for a long while that my problem would be cured with an older natural/rosewood 2EQ stingray. When I finally got one it wasn't the one I was looking for...

Settled on my Sterling HH for now (but for how long)

Best of luck with the sale Chris, its an amazing looking bass. If I was in the grip of my bi-annual 'ray-gas you'd have a PM by now :)

I don't suppose it's got "The One" written on the back somewhere?

J[/quote]

Agreed Jas, I've owned 6 'rays now so that probably tells its own story! Despite the fact that each 'ray has been better than the last, it's always going to come back to a good passive 70's Precision for me. Hope that Sterling works out for you (but, let's face it, we both know we'll be trading a bass or two next year).
C

[quote name='tombboy' post='362376' date='Dec 23 2008, 09:52 PM']FFS Chris... I honestly think that you purposely wait until I spend money on a new bass, THEN pull something like this out of the bag!
Me & you are gonna fall out!! :) :huh:[/quote]

Like you haven't done the same to me mate!
C

[quote name='bigthumb' post='362652' date='Dec 24 2008, 11:14 AM']'Tis a great bass and if cash wasn't non existent around here I would have it back as I do miss her. But like Chris, I cannot get away from the Precision thing. Christmas eve bump for a gorgeous bass![/quote]

Cheers mate, sure you don't want to get rid of your '73 :)

Although a couple of deals are being discussed, the 'ray's still potentially available for the right trade.

Chris

Aarghhhhh! This is now becoming something of a Disneyesque saga! Several deals have been discussed but for various reasons none of the basses I've been offered have worked out, so this is likely my last bump on here before I go for the ebay option. It's a cracking example of an increasingly rare and sought-after instrument, so if you've always wanted a pre-EB 'ray, and at a decent price (in trade terms ideally, although I'll of course discuss cash or PX), now's the time to do it.
Chris