Why become a member? ×

EB Cobalts and pitch stability (staying in tune)

Soledad

Really happy with the EB Cobalts on my P, but I am finding they go flat mid-set. Previously a long-term user of D'Addario rounds and I reckon they were way more stable.

Am I just running very hot (thermal, not tasty hot) or is this an issue with these EBs?

I've been using EB Cobalt flats for over three years, and haven't noticed a problem with tuning. When I first put them on though, they were higher tension than the rounds that I'd used previously, so I needed to give the trussrod a tweak to compensate - after that, every new set of cobalt flats have been pretty stable - they've held their tuning just as well as any other sort of strings - I must have got through over half a dozen sets by now.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Soledad said:

Really happy with the EB Cobalts on my P, but I am finding they go flat mid-set. Previously a long-term user of D'Addario rounds and I reckon they were way more stable.

Am I just running very hot (thermal, not tasty hot) or is this an issue with these EBs?

I used roundwound cobalts for a while on my Stingray, and cobalt flats on an ATK300, and never found any issues like that. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve been using cobalts for a few years/sets now and I’ve not had an issue with tuning stability, nor have I had the rust problem reported in other threads. I hope that EB’s quality control isn’t slipping as these strings gain popularity.

• Thanks 1

OK, thanks to all - they are newish on and thru-body so maybe a bit more bedding in. I'm really happy with the strings in all respects so will stick with them and try help them settle

4 hours ago, MrDaveTheBass said:

so I needed to give the trussrod a tweak to compensate

Came from D'Addario 40-100 rounds and the tension feels quite similar. Neck has held pretty much as was and action stays consistent so I think truss rod setting is OK. I'll keep a closer watch on the whole set-up but I don't think it's down to neck movement and does seem sweaty venue related..