Why become a member? ×

Rehearsals - a game of two halves

Nicko

(Covers band) Yesterday was the first rehearsal since 06 Juy.  It all started so well, with a new song, pretty much nailed after two play throughs. As agreed we then started to play through the whoe of the current set list.  We were on form, and it sounded great - clearly everyone had put the effort in.  We took a short beark after the first set. Had a chat outside and were all in good spirits.*

Then it went all Pete Tong.  People forgetting parts/lyrics, structure, timing was off, tuning was off. Jjust about anything we cold get wrong we did get wrong. 

Oh well, onwards and upwards.

* No booze or illicit substances consumed.

2 hours ago, Nicko said:

(Covers band) Yesterday was the first rehearsal since 06 Juy.  It all started so well, with a new song, pretty much nailed after two play throughs. As agreed we then started to play through the whoe of the current set list.  We were on form, and it sounded great - clearly everyone had put the effort in.  We took a short beark after the first set. Had a chat outside and were all in good spirits.*

Then it went all Pete Tong.  People forgetting parts/lyrics, structure, timing was off, tuning was off. Jjust about anything we cold get wrong we did get wrong. 

Oh well, onwards and upwards.

* No booze or illicit substances consumed.

Are you sure *

Its definitely affecting your typing 😀

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, steantval said:

Are you sure *

Its definitely affecting your typing 😀

No I'm jsut siht ta ytping.

Actually bad at typing and too lazy to get my reading glasses.

Edited by Nicko
  • Haha 3

Losing focus after taking a relaxing short break maybe ? 

I find our band can be like that when long gaps between rehearsals yet when we have 2 or 3 in a trot they all go really well even after a coffee break.

Try not takng a break see how it goes. If its a 3 hr session like most studios do it'll take the drummer 30mins to set up and same to dismantle which only leaves 2hrs playing. That's basically a one set timescale. :lol:

Dave

I think relaxing too much because everything's going great can also be a big culprit.

We played a small festival on Saturday night, (our first ever) everyone brought their A game, concentrated on what they were doing, and we had probably the best gig of our (granted somewhat short) career. 

The following night, we played a local charity gig which we've done before, to a handful of punters and were all relaxed as it was a throw away gig. It was bloody awful! So much so, the drummer started packing her kit up in the break and had to be talked around, and I wasn't far behind. 

We had a word with ourselves in the interval, and the second set was spotless. 

It was like playing with two different bands. 

• Like 1

Until a new band gels by playing several gigs they need to remain focused on their playing. Once a few gigs under their belt they should be able to relax a bit and just enjoy the show. 

You can rehearse as much as you like in the hope things will always be perfect but its live gigs that really tighten up a band. IMHE.

Dave

• Like 2