Why become a member? ×

Head ohm issues

:amaze:

hi, this is my first post here, so if this is the wrong section, i apologize!

so here's my current situation:

right now, i have a peavey probass500 powering a hartke transporter 410 and GK backline 115. each cab is 8ohm, and the head puts out 375 watts at 4ohm.

i am currently saving to upgrade my two cabs. I think i'm going to go with an avatar 212 and 410.

now, here's my dilemma.

the head i have is stable at 2ohm, so i could get both cabs at 4ohm (for total load of 2ohm) and be pushing 500 watts. which is what i was originally thinking. HOWEVER, i imagine that i will eventually be upgrading my head as well (not anytime soon, but eventually...).

so, what i really want to know is, are there a lot of heads that are stable at 2ohms? though this is not going to be an issue in the short term, if i want to get a really nice head unit, am i going to be severely limited if i need it to be stable at 2ohms (or screwed having to upgrade my cabs again)?

i'm hoping to get the avatar 212 within a couple weeks after x-mas, so i'm trying to figure this out now.

thanks to anyone with any insight!

In short; for the extra (short-term) output you'll get at 2 ohms, I'd go for a pair of 8ohm cabs and give yourself a 4 ohm load for future use. Setting aside your choice of mixing speaker sizes (I anticipate the appropriate authority will clarify why :) ... that's genuine :huh: not taking the p*ss :huh: ), there aren't as wide a selection of 2 ohm heads as there are 4 ohm (the industry standard). You can dare t be different if you like (there are 2 ohm heads out there) but TBH it just makes for an easier life if you aim to operate @ 4 ohms... generally.

What they said - you will severly limit your choice of heads if they have to drive a 2 ohm load.

As for mixing cabs, you dont always get the sum of the parts because phase changes with frequency with different cabs. Where the cabs are in phase you will get the sum, where they are not in phase you will get the difference because the cabs will cancel out, one will be pushing air and one will be sucking. Some people like this sound but if you are buying blind then I would recommend getting two cabs the same.

Edited by bass_ferret

There is a reason why 300-500 watt heads and 2 x 8 ohm cabs are the norm!
Good 2 ohm capable heads are usually more expensive, Iamp, Eden, Thunderfunk, etc, but the list of good 4 ohm heads is endless, and much cheaper. If you really want 2 4 ohm cabs get 2 4 ohm capable heads and run them together via a split lead. But that really is overkill.