Why become a member? ×

Aria SB-R Fretless Project

Deedee

They really are great basses.

The most expensive thing to go wrong (or not be working) would be the pickup. Other than that it would just be the bridge and deciding whether to refret or not.

I have a spare solderless loom for one if anyone was interested 😉.

I might well be - I have a SB-Elite I Black & Gold project, been on the back burner for a couple of years. Someone stuck a J pickup between the original unit & bridge so it's been (badly) re-wired for that. I'll be filling the route & putting it back to stock at some point, so the proper pots, cap & switch would be great. Is the switch the original flat-blade type?

There’s a story there...... No, it’s not the flat type unfortunately, but I do have a couple of those on the way to me so I’ll pm you with the details of what’s available once the switch has arrived. 👍

• Thanks 1

Cool, appreciate that!. The bass is beaten to hell (worst buckle rash I've ever seen!) and unfortunately the pickup's only working on one coil - but the frets are like new and it's a superb player - unplugged, at least! Will stick a Rautia in it when I eventually get around to doing it.

Apart from filling the bloody great hole someone made in it, not sure whether to refin it or leave it with its battle scars. I quite like genuine mojo, but not sure if it suits this bass.

I think the biggest challenge will be finding a pair of original knobs for it!

I took delivery of the bass in the ad today, it’s in good shape overall and the pickup does have a bit of an output. The bridge is toast however so until I can source one I’ll use an old brass one I have in my spares box. Build quality is beautiful and it’s so light compared to my SB700.

If anyone has a suitable Aria bridge let me know....😉

• Like 2

On 26/07/2019 at 00:27, Deedee said:

Yes they tend to be the most difficult item to find. Although there is a chap on TB who’s currently perfecting his own moulded ones. Very good they look too.

Would you happen to have a picture of how the switch/loom is wired up? The pickup works but in one position the E&A strings have a much lower output than G&D I’m wondering if it’s been wired up wrongly? Cheers 

5 minutes ago, ash said:

Would you happen to have a picture of how the switch/loom is wired up? The pickup works but in one position the E&A strings have a much lower output than G&D I’m wondering if it’s been wired up wrongly? Cheers 

Here you go:

Wiring.jpg

Good score, looking forward to seeing how this one goes.

Regarding bridges, if you do Facebook there are a few Aria & MIJ groups, someone might have one in their spares box:

Aria SB Basses

Aria Pro II Fan Club

Vintage Japanese Guitars Fan Club

Bear in mind the bridges come in two widths, the SB-Rs (and Elites & RSBs) have the wider string spacing.

Don't bother asking about knobs - there aren't any! The guy casting his own replicas is going to have a massive order list!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Good score, looking forward to seeing how this one goes.

Regarding bridges, if you do Facebook there are a few Aria & MIJ groups, someone might have one in their spares box:

Aria SB Basses

Aria Pro II Fan Club

Vintage Japanese Guitars Fan Club

Bear in mind the bridges come in two widths, the SB-Rs (and Elites & RSBs) have the wider string spacing.

Don't bother asking about knobs - there aren't any! The guy casting his own replicas is going to have a massive order list!

Thanks I’ll have a look!